Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Anna's Humming Bird

Real Name
    Jon

Anna's Humming Bird

Anna's Humming Bird

I caught this hummer feeding on our deck through the sliding glass door. Just happen to have my Canon 200mm set up with ISO @ 400 f2.8 which got me a 1/1000th shutter speed. Been trying to set up a feeder but they don't like it and always go for the real deal in the yard so very hard to be in the right place at the right time

Real Name
    Steve

Re: Anna's Humming Bird

Quote Originally Posted by flechtight View Post
    Anna's Humming Bird

I caught this hummer feeding on our deck through the sliding glass door. Just happen to have my Canon 200mm set up with ISO @ 400 f2.8 which got me a 1/1000th shutter speed. Been trying to set up a feeder but they don't like it and always go for the real deal in the yard so very hard to be in the right place at the right time

If you were using the store bought nector, they don't like it very well. Try just plain old sugar water / 5 parts water to 1 part sugar. Hang the feeder in the shade of a tree and they will find it eventually. I use the small , single hole feeders. That way i can line up the feeder to get the humming bird facing the direction i want to shoot from. Also , they drink it faster and it doesn't spoil. I bought mine at lowes.

Re: Anna's Humming Bird

Hi,
    I found that the hummers here seem to prefer a clear glass feeder with the red flowers. nectar juice I use is 4(water, boiled):1(sugar dissolved),then cooled. They go for both, juice & flowers here. esp. fun watching the parents teach the new ones what to do.
    diane

Quote Originally Posted by flechtight View Post
    Anna's Humming Bird