Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: B&W pictures converted into colour

Real Name
    John

B&W pictures converted into colour

Just read this article:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...otographs.html

and wondered what you guys think about adding colour to iconic B&W pictures; I don't like it myself but would like your opinions.

Re: B&W pictures converted into colour

I don't see anything wrong with creating two versions of any photo. It's up to the viewer to decide which they prefer.

Whether the colour versions of B&W photos is authentically correct may be another issue.

But this principle has been around as long as photography. For example, today I have been working on reconditioning 100 year old hand tinted B&W photos for my local history society.

Real Name
    Steve

Well I've had a look, and some I can agree with and some I don't: give a retard a gun and see civilisation retarded a thousand years. Should be black and white that one.

Aristotle made some profound statements: 'The difference between the educated and uneducated, (the one with the gun) is greater than the difference between the living and the dead.'

Seems about right to me; can't help but think of all the life threatening diseases in the world, none is more dangerous than a retard with a weapon.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

As Geoff suggests, hand-tinting of B & W images is an old and noble art in its own right. However, as far as I am concerned that was something initiated by the person who took the photograph, either by doing the hand-tinting him or herself or engaging someone else to do it.

This story however shows us the the person doing the tinting is doing so to images created by others who never expressed a wish that they be tinted. That, in my view, is wrong.

If she wants to take photographs in B & W and then tint them herself, fine.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

The retouching work is excellent. These images impress me artistically more in some than others - I would be more selective.

BUT the more interesting point is this - (my underlining and bold for emphasis):

“Swedish artist Sanna Dullaway . . . has transformed some of the most famous black and white pictures ever captured into high resolution colour versions.

Little is known about the creator of these iconic images, but it is thought she is hoping to sell her work on the internet - and there is sure to be some firm interest.

She writes on her Flickr site: 'Hi. I take coloured photographs. If I stumble upon colourless photographs I colour them.'

It couldn't be simpler right? Yet the results are truly stunning.”

Extract op. cit.

WW

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

What I found interesting is that some images seemed to work better in B&W, while others seemed to work better in colour.

Notwithstanding the artist's skills (either the original photographer or the retoucher); the composition "rules" still apply and B&W helps simplify the image. Some of the colourized images have less impact, at least in my view, because they are "too busy".

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

The lawyers of the copyright owners will have a field day with this woman. As in the example of the first image, guess who has the deepest pockets -- Life or the woman. I suppose it is possible that she paid for permission to alter and sell the photographs, but I doubt it.

Real Name
    Philip

Personally, I quite like hand tinting B&W images. I have done a few myself with very pleasing results!
    The lawyers of the copyright owners will have a field day with this woman. As in the example of the first image, guess who has the deepest pockets -- Life or the woman. I suppose it is possible that she paid for permission to alter and sell the photographs, but I doubt it.
    Mike I totally agree, and Id like to add that I find the images she has chosen to 'play' with in VERY poor taste. These Iconic images are too serious for this type of 'frivolous' experimentation.

Phil