Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Lake Manapouri

Real Name
    Mark

Lake Manapouri

Taken on a freezing misty morning. Lake Manapouri is famous for its massive underground hydroelectric power station. See link below.

Lake Manapouri

Lake Manapouri

Lake Manapouri

Lake Manapouri Info

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Lake Manapouri

Quote Originally Posted by Markvetnz View Post
    Lake Manapouri is famous for its massive underground hydroelectric power station.
    Our equivalent is Ben Cruachan power station on the shores of Loch Awe. It's a large power station inside the hollowed out interior of the mountain.

Gorgeous images, Mark. The second and third are almost abstract studies of light and shape and are sublime.

Real Name
    Mark

Re: Lake Manapouri

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Our equivalent is Ben Cruachan power station on the shores of Loch Awe. It's a large power station inside the hollowed out interior of the mountain.

Gorgeous images, Mark. The second and third are almost abstract studies of light and shape and are sublime.
    Thanks Donald
    I like the last 2 as well. This is the first time I crossed the lake. The power station is only accessible by boat. The engineering behind it it still quite staggering, even by today's standards. It has a 2km access tunnel blasted through solid granite and a massive chamber built 200m below the surface of the lake. I wonder if any such project would even get off the ground today, given the change in environmental awareness.