Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Fishing in the estuary

Real Name
    colin

Fishing in the estuary

I am posting this for two reasons.
    1) I think it is a half decent picture.
    2) Having just begun to shoot RAW I have not much idea the size required for Tinypics so I hope this works when I push the button.

Colin. Fishing in the estuary

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Re: Fishing in the estuary

Hi Colin
    If I knew what I was talking about technically, which I probably don't, and so make this comment based on visual appreciation only, I would be tempted to agree that it is a half decent capture; but one which seems a little flat and could do with a bit more colour vibrancy to 'lift' it.
    And when I first opened it my eye went straight to the bridge. In fact it took me a wee time to pick up the two fisher persons in the foreground. This of course may be due to me being shortchanged in observational skills. But this is purely my opinion. Others will differ in their response, obviously.

I suppose a slight crop of the right side to remove the large part of a building on the skyline might be worth trying. And a corresponding amount from the bottom; or a mixture of part bottom and part sky.

It would certainly concentrate more on the bridge and angler. I'm not totally sure though; perhaps a case of try it then have another think.

Maybe also try a touch of Local Contrast Enhancement to give the scene a bit more of a boost but be careful not to overdo the sky. The subtle sombre atmosphere works nicely; almost like an English summer.

With regard to the uploading size using tinypics. I usually resize to 1,000 pixels on the long side and a Jpeg at 80% quality. But I think you can go up to 1,200 pixels, possibly a little more.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Colin I am with Ken and Geoff with most of the comments, however some differences. As this was shot in RAW, reopen in RAW, and spread out the histogram, increase the white slider (not exposure), to most the histogram to the right, than increase the black slider to farther stretch it to the left. the decrease the amount of shadow (fill light) to remove some of the shadow on the bank of the river as a result of inreasing the black.
    As for cropping, crop out from the bottom up to the top where the stream runs out of the lower right corner of the page, than take about 1.5 times that amount off the top, it gives it more of a pan feels.
    For timypics I find and have never had any problem with size is to once I have save the image as a PSD file, I then flatten it, go to Image>size> DPI (from 360 down to 100), height 10.80 inch, width 19.20 inch. However I never go greater ie: if height is 10.80 and width is 21.6 than width is change to 19.20 and computer put in corresponding height to that width. Once is is sized, I than go to "save to web" as a Jpeg at 100% (system than stripes it further down to 72 DPI). As I have said I have never had any problem uploading through tinypic to CIC.

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Hi Colin,
    Great shot. Looks like part of the River Meets Ocean series? Sorry for taking liberties with your picture. :o
    I used the highlights and shadows sliders in Picasa to eliminate haze and cropped a bit. Minimal adjustments.

Fishing in the estuary

Real Name
    Ken Outch

This is your work and basically it is you who dictates its presentation, predicated by the 'story' you wish to convey to the viewer. But just to give you another slant I have taken the impertinence, which I hope you will forgive, to do some work on your post. I have tried to lighten it and direct a bit more focus on the group and their dog fishing. Of course whether I have successfully succeeded in achieving this is of course another question. This is not intended as a criticism of your work. Just an alternative view.
    Cheers
    Ken

Fishing in the estuary

Real Name
    colin

G'day Ken

G'day Ken

Comments and advice appreciated.
    Cheers Colin.

Real Name
    colin

Hi Allan
    Thank you for a very complete and helpful reply.
    Colin

Real Name
    colin

Thank you Geoff very helpful comments.
    Colin.

Real Name
    colin

Hi Andre a great improvement on my effort.
    As a very new photographer all help is valued.
    Cheers Colin