Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Moon Over Mt. Shasta

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Moon Over Mt. Shasta

I looked out the window around 8:30 pm the other evening and saw the moon resting on the flank of Mt. Shasta. I grabbed my camera gear and got off some shots. The wind was blowing hard so it was difficult to get a crisp shot...I had to jack up the ISO and shutter speed to compensate for wind shake. Still....it was a wonderful thing to see.

Chuck

Moon Over Mt. Shasta

And one more:

Moon Over Mt. Shasta

Re: Moon Over Mt. Shasta

Really nice Chuck, fantastic scenery.

If I look out of my window all I see is houses and traffic.

Beautiful shots! I think I'd kill for a view like that

Beautiful Chuck. The tree distracts for me in the first image. Have you got the second image in colour as expect that would be the real winner for me. The style of the second reminds me of a couple of limited prints I brought back from Yosemite...Ansell would approve

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

For Wirefox, here's a different shot without the tree. I like the tree because it has character and often shoot the mountain with the tree in it for a secondary point of interest or to frame the mountain. Perhaps the mountain looks better without the tree in these shots.

Moon Over Mt. Shasta

The black and white version was a pseudo HDR created from one raw image. I sometimes do that to bring out more detail with a contrasty subject. However, the color went south (no disrespect to Colin intended in that expression) on me as it often does in a PHDR so I converted it to black and white. Here is a similar shot from the same angle but not PHDR and with color...the sun was obviously setting.

Moon Over Mt. Shasta

I was very fortunate to catch these shots. I was watching for a repeat the next night but the moon came up in a slightly different location and most of the light of the setting sun had already left the mountain. It was not nearly so dramatic and I didn't even shoot at it. I've seen the moon come up over the mountain after dark but this is the first time I have been able to catch it like this on a clear day with the setting sun lighting the mountain.

Chuck

Real Name
    Ali

Amazing shots, Chuck! Even looking at it's picture is so comforting. Lucky you to live in such beautiful place...

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Speaking of out the window views....here's the view from inside my neighbor's house. He lives across the street from me and built his house centered on the mountain. My view isn't so dramatic.

This shot is HDR so I could include inside and outside details.

Chuck

Moon Over Mt. Shasta

On shot # 1 and # 5, how'd you get the moon to roll down the mountainside like that???

(Really nice shots. I'm planning a trip to the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone in the fall & hope to get something like that. I don't believe there'll be a full moon, but that won't matter too much to me.)

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by joec View Post
    On shot # 1 and # 5, how'd you get the moon to roll down the mountainside like that???
    Hi Joec: It does look like it's rolling down the mountain. Just took a little shove to get it going.

I'm sure you will enjoy your Tetons trip. Who doesn't like Grand Tetons (look it up if you don't know.)

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by CNelson View Post

Moon Over Mt. Shasta

Chuck,

This picture is really nice.