Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Too Old to Rock 'n Roll, Too Young to Die

Real Name
    Terry

Too Old to Rock 'n Roll, Too Young to Die

My Lovely and Charming Bride is somehow under the impression that I am some Glam Rock ‘n Roll Jet-setting photographer that is totally surrounded by super models all day long!

Or wait! Maybe that’s my impression!

But I can tell you this. Spending all day in front of a computer removing pimples and nose hairs from photographs I find somewhat less than Fab! And yet, I do it anyway!

I guess I have to have this mistaken illusion so I can go in and shoot in the worst light, if there is any at all, being bashed into by inebriated dancers, having everyone asking me (all of a sudden) if I can “take their pitcher” email it to them, produce nothing but crap, and hope to God I learn something from it all!

As it turns out, what I have learned is that I wouldn’t have it any other way!

Please feel free to comment at will, but hey, I know these are not going to win any awards! The band liked them and at least that is something! Never underestimate the Power of “I Love Me” and I provided a few prints for their “I Love Me” wall!

I’m going back to shooting Hummingbirds!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Too Old to Rock 'n Roll, Too Young to Die

That's an excellent set, Terry. All perfectly exposed, in my view, and beautifully capturing the rawness of good-ol' hard rock. I am not surprised that the band members liked them.

Perfect composition in every case! Congratulations!

Real Name
    Gillie Bengough

Great set of pictures, Terry; I particularly like #2, (although along with the nose hair I might have cloned out the floating object behind the performer), and #4 where he appears to be about to swallow his mike! Gillie (with a gee )

Real Name
    Philip

I too like this set!
    I tried the other week to photograph a band I play with (- me of course!), and the results were disappointing. I know its not the easiest thing to capture. Its that 'getting it right with the flash ' thing again!
    Good work!
    Phil

Real Name
    Terry

I sure do appreciate everyone’s comments.

Gillie (notice I spelled that with a soft “g” this time?), the floating object is his microphone. I thought the same thing about losing it. I have discovered that these musicians tend to like all their happy gear/lights in their shots. They don’t see these photos like you (a trained and good eye) would and they have no clue what it takes to get and produce shots like this. Which is as it should be since they would have no reason to. If I just took a bunch of cell phone shots in bad light with everyone in total shadow it would be more what they are used to seeing! After hours of Glamorous, Fabulous, Jet-Setting, Super-Model-Surrounded nose hair removal my already feeble mind boggles!

However, I would agree with you that it would make a nicer portrait without the mic.

This is why I like to bounce this stuff off the Forum. To get differing opinions, to catch stuff I missed, and to maybe see if I have made good decisions on what to leave in and how much to retouch. Maybe someday I’ll get to the point where I don’t miss anything, but I really doubt any of us will live long enough to see that happen! I think I’ll remove the mic and just keep it as a separate file, Gillie. In fact, I have noticed a couple of other things I’ll address because of everyone’s comments.

What I would really like to do is get these guys in a more controlled environment to shoot them in. This particular band is up for it.

The mic swallowing thing is one of these if you are even remotely interested, Gillie! Pretty cool effect and I don’t see a lot of performers using them so much so I wanted to get a couple of tight shots of him utilizing it.

Thank you for the help everyone. God knows I'm going to need all I can get!
    Last edited by Loose Canon; 16th July 2012 at 11:38 PM.

Real Name
    Stephen Campton-Jones

These shots are really good. I have photographed America, Clannad, Bo Diddley, Matt Taylor and Phill Manning Band and others I can't remember. I would like to start doing it again. It was a lot of fun.
    You seem to be a Jethro Tull fan.

Real Name
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by stephencamptonjones View Post
    These shots are really good.
    Thank you, Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by stephencamptonjones View Post
    I have photographed America, Clannad, Bo Diddley, Matt Taylor and Phill Manning Band and others I can't remember. I would like to start doing it again. It was a lot of fun.
    You seem to be a Jethro Tull fan.
    Man that's quite a Legendary Line-up! It is a lot of fun though. Probably more so when you are shooting the Big Names.

I do like Tull, Stephen. Their music as well as their theatrics. I have always loved the idea of a Rock 'n Roll flautist! And Anderson can sure pipe it out!

I take it you must be a fan too if you recognized my thread title!
    Last edited by Loose Canon; 17th July 2012 at 08:49 PM.

Real Name
    Stephen Campton-Jones

I was really sad when that album came out. I thought it was the end of Tull. I am glad I was so wrong.
    I only got 6 shots of Clannad, got caught and told to put the camera away or loose it.
    My daughter played the flute, I tried to encourage her to be a little like Anderson she reckons he was toooooo mad.
    She was looking for a new direction in music. Absolutely hates playing ABBA and Greensleeves, the stuff the play at school.

Real Name
    Richard

What in the world is that in his mouth in #3? It looks like something a doctor would use for exploration!

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    What in the world is that in his mouth in #3? It looks like something a doctor would use for exploration!
    I think the guitars play themselves Richard; but last time I saw one of those things it was being used to alter the notes played on his guitar.

Good portrait though.

Real Name
    Terry

(HaHa) Hi Richard!

I would have thought a Big-Time Rock “n Roller like yourself would have recognized that straight away!

Rather than me trying to explain it have a look at this if you are interested!

Or well, maybe he is giving himself an examination! You have no idea how happy I was that it went in that end...

You got it Steve. Now I knew a Rocker of your calibre would nail that!

Thank you for the comment, sir.
    Last edited by Loose Canon; 18th July 2012 at 09:47 PM.

Real Name
    Gary

Seem to remember that Peter Frampton brought that piece of kit (talk box) to fame several years ago? Like the photos as they capture the excitement of a gig. If you say that the band liked them then that has to be the best possible result!

Cheers for now

Gary

Real Name
    Steve

Thankyou Terry; I must say in my eyes you must be a sir. That picture is so good. But get back to reality; what do they sound like.

Definitely nailed the vision thing though, I think.

Real Name
    Terry

Steve, where I come from “sir” and “ma’am” are used as terms of respect! Or at least should be. So thank you again, sir!

I was raised to use these terms and glad of it. I am not deserving of the term, but I am a “sir” in terms of being of the male persuasion!

But getting back to reality, the “talk box” sounds great. It can do things from a wah-wah like sound to actually forming words from the instrument notes. There are any number of different ways to vary an instrumental note with this effect. It gives the instrument a gritty crunching effect generally, but keep in mind these guitar players are already playing with a lot of what is called a crunch sound with this style of music. As opposed to say, a clean jazz-type sound.

I think they are most prevalent in Rock bands and on guitar. But they can be used for any amplified instrument and I have also heard them used with keys as well.

I don’t see a lot of our local bands using them for whatever reason.

Real Name
    Brian

Appropriate title for the thread