Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Images around an island

Real Name
    Steven

Images around an island

1. The Floating Workshop

I was on my way to this island and when the ferry that I was in passed this barge, I knew there was an image in it. Hope you like the HDR processing, although it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Images around an island

2. Trawler in the Front Yard

I like this image as it shows how the people lived. There is also the mixture of the old and new. But there were lots of Turquoise blue, neon blue in the background. I decided to give it a pencil drawing feel to it.

Images around an island

3. Trawler at Rest

I like the contrast and details of this image. I had to tone down the orange as the new coat of paint was hurting to the eyes.

Images around an island

As always, all comments and critique is welcome. I am still in the learning curve and thanks for viewing.

Real Name
    Mary

Re: Images around an island

I like #2 the best. HDR in general is not my thing. But I like the way you have captured the scenes.

Real Name
    Kevin

Hi, Steven

I really do like some of the "HDR" images that are being put out. But I dont think it's the HDR technique that some people object to, it's the degree of tone-mapping that can become garrish.

I quite like the 2nd image (though would consider cropping the isolated post on the left) as it is much more understated. Image 3 is also quite nice, but my personal preference would be to desaturate a little. Image 1 just shocks my retinas and comes across cartoonish, but I think you have a good image wrapped in all that color.

I confess that since I first started seeing HDR images in the last year, that I liked more color earlier on and have become less enamored of it over time, but I still think the technique is an important one to be facile with.

Kevin

I like each photo each in its own way. I like the softness of the middle one. But I like the colors in the other two. Maybe the first is a little too HDR but but for a barge it makes it work for me. Thanks for sharing and showing the different tecs.

Real Name
    Steven

Mary, Kevin thanks for viewing and sharing your opinions. I do agree with you that most objections of HDR iamges is the degree of tone-mapping done.

Again, appreciate the comments

Hi, Steven

Still getting used to the high color HDR images. Until a few weeks ago, did not know it existed. And sure have seen beautiful ones.

Your image 1. I really like. And yes it does not appear 'real' anymore. Like Kevin said a bit cartoonish, but I love! it.

Real Name
    Gillie Bengough

Hi Steven; I like using HDR sometimes, especially in difficult lighting situations, but for me personally I find the first image really doesn't work. The use of HDR here is way over the top, with too much saturation causing the image to become very busy; the reflections becoming part of the ship, make my eyes dart hither and thither, without being able to focus on any part of the picture. I really like your perspective work on the second picture, and the third is a great composition, although, once again, a little too saturated for my eyes. I envy you the wonderful area you are in to find pictures! Gillie

Real Name
    Steven

Muriel, from the queue of my reply to Mary and Kevin it would look like I skipped you. I was typing a quick reply, which I was slow at it, when you responded to my post.

Anyway, thanks for your comments and glad you liked them.

Real Name
    Steven

Jan, Gillie thanks for taking the time to comment on this thread. Appreciate your opinions.

Gillie, thanks for the comments on the composition as I always struggle with it.