Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Missing CF Card Found

Real Name
    Richard

Missing CF Card Found

It has been several years since my trip to China and, today, I just found a CF card with images from the Tang Dynasty Song and Dance Show in Xi'an, China. During my trip, I downloaded my CF cards every evening when I returned to my hotel room and transferred them to my wife's notebook computer and then backed up to external hard drives. I was exceptionally tired from a hard routine of sightseeing that day in Xi'an. We started the day at the Terra Cotta Warrior Museum, visited several other sights and finished the day with a visit to the Tang Dynasty Song and Dance Show and didn't get back to the hotel room until quite late in the evening. Apparently I neglected to download this card and just placed it on one of the pockets of my wife's notebook case where it remained until today. I had a very large number of cards so apparently never realized that this one was missing.

It was like revisiting the show to see these images pop onto my screen. I shot them with a 40D wearing a 70-200mm f/4L IS lens. At first I shot using ISO 1,600 and after a bit switched to ISO 800 when I realized that would allow exposures at f/4 in the area of 1/150 second or there abouts...

Here are some of the images I found...

Missing CF Card Found

Missing CF Card Found

Missing CF Card Found

BTW: The performers were lit by colored spotlights so color balance may seem a bit off...

Other images of Xi'an, China are located in my Xi'an Gallery:

http://rpcrowe.smugmug.com/Travel/CH...113950&k=Fstqr
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 11th July 2012 at 01:54 AM.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Missing CF Card Found

Looks pretty impressive to me, Richard. Glad you were able to locate your "missing" card.

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Like the last one best. It must be the contrast formed by that deep blue background.

Real Name
    Terry

Sorry about the loss of the card, Richard, but happy about the opportunity to re-live a great experience!

One thing that has always struck me about editing a shoot is I get to relive the experience. Regardless of the crap I put out or how much I screw it up, it is always fun getting to spend the extra time with my subjects!

Your usual high-quality stuff, Richard.

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Canon View Post
    Sorry about the loss of the card, Richard, but happy about the opportunity to re-live a great experience!

One thing that has always struck me about editing a shoot is I get to relive the experience. Regardless of the crap I put out or how much I screw it up, it is always fun getting to spend the extra time with my subjects!

Your usual high-quality stuff, Richard.
    Thanks for the compliment, Terry.

I too relive the moments of shooting the pictures. I remember the way that I felt about taking them as well as remember being tired, cold or otherwise frustrated. I can remember being frustrated on several occasions because of not having the time to shoot that I wanted during my China trip. I'd love to return (ALONE) and with enough time to really enjoy myself...

I only wish that I had had the opportunity to shoot digital all of my life. I could relive the moments through the images. I have, due to moving and various other life changes, very few hard copy images from my years in photography previous to the digital age.

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    It has been several years since my trip to China and, today, I just found a CF card with images from the Tang Dynasty ......
    Wow! I knew the Chinese were ahead of the game with Gunpowder, papermaking, the compass and printing. Didn't realise they had digital cameras too

Glad you found you card.

Real Name
    Steve

All fantastic shots, and I'm glad you changed to 400 iso because that is so much more detail.

Real Name
    Richard

"All fantastic shots, and I'm glad you changed to 400 iso because that is so much more detail."

Thanks Steve. I totally agree. My 40D can handle ISO 400 a bit better than ISO 800. However, my present 7D is not at all shabby at either ISO 400 or ISO 800.

What a fun find! Enjoyed your pictures greatly. Thanks for sharing.

Real Name
    Brian

Very nice captures, and I like your use of color in framing too