Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Rocks at sunrise

Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

Rocks at sunrise

Dear fellows,

First of all, it is beeing a lot of fun being a CIC member. Also, it is being very useful, as I am learning many "tricks" here!
    Enough talking, here is a picture of last Saturday's morning walk. Maybe you like it. C&C always welcome.

Rocks at sunrise

Real Name
    Kevin

Re: Rocks at sunrise

Hi, Otavio

A couple of thoughts:

You picked a difficult position to attempt this shot with both the sun and it's reflection blasting away directly at you. It's almost a guarantee that some highlights will be irreparably blown. Water and its reflections, and wet rock reflections are often controlled nicely with a polarizing filter, but these work most effectively when the photographer's direction is 90 degrees to the incident light. So moving a few meters to the left or right might have been helpful.

It's a nice setting, but lacks any dominant element, and seems more suitable for a background. Talking a friend or passerby into being in the shot would provide a bit more perspective and interest. Thanks for sharing, and keep on shooting!

Kevin

Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

Hi Kevin,

As always, many thanks for the feedback. I agree this setting deserves a second shot! As this place is pretty close to my house (about 200m) I will repeat it soon, so we can compare both shots! I will try to get up earlier next time, as the sun was already a bit too high in the sky and light was really intense when I shot this!

Regards...

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Otavio,

What is the subject of your image?

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Hi Otavio,
    Let me put this in perspective. Getting a shot like that with a Kodak EasyShare Z990 is great. Think that is the spirit in CiC, get the shots with the tools you’ve got.
    You read the comment of Kevin, I think he is probably more qualified to guide you than I am.

If I had to shoot that with my Sony DSC I would avoid the sun to be so directly into the camera. Get down lower closer to the rocks, up a little with the lens and a little to the left, sun still in picture, could have been beter.
    Even turning up the shutter speed or narrowing down the aperture will be difficult to get the shot. I would suggest try doing it again with different settings and see where the limitations of your camera is. That is one of the beauties of digital, try and try again, it is cheap. If you can’t get a shot you would like to get, do not despair, we can’t get all of them all the time.

Great job with what you’ve got.
    Keep going and posting.
    Last edited by AB26; 11th July 2012 at 02:52 PM.

Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

Hi Andre,

Many thanks for your very usefull comments. As I said to Kevin, I will repeat that shot soon, having in mind what you and Kevin said. I will post the result.

Regards...

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Only trying Otavio, and still learning.
    Just keep shooting.