Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Road Trip - Camels in the silhouette

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Road Trip - Camels in the silhouette

Here's a few from sunset in Brome today. I would like to get some feedback please.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Road Trip - Camels in the silhouette

Very good shots, Wayne. #1, 3 and 4 would probably benefit with a little more space on the sides to balance your composition while #2 looks balanced to me. Really good shots, man! Cheers.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

All of them are keepers but the first one is really special for me. The child making the "V" sign is what makes it so.

If it would be possible to create more space in that image as Willie mentions, that would be great. I can imagine that the other camels might have prevented that from being possible without moving pixels around during post-processing.

Real Name
    Clive

Hi Wayne, I love the colours and the silhouettes that you've captured. I areee with Willie on the composition.

Real Name
    Bill S

Wayne,

My favorites are 3 and 4. 3 really only needs a sliver more space on the right, otherwise I think it is perfect. 4 could use the space you'd gain just by cloning out the last camel's head from the the edge of the frame, but I also think suffers from the sand not being level... this is a really difficult situation because your horizon (the water) is indeed level, but because the sand is darker it grabs your attention quicker and makes the shot feel tilted.

The last thing I'd recommend is pulling up the Blacks slider a bit when doing the RAW processing - this would make the silhouettes darker and hopefully eliminate the washed out shadows of detail that you are getting there.

- Bill

The issue of whether to raise the black point is only a matter of style. I always prefer silhouettes that display a little color in the subject, as provided in these images. Some people prefer the silhouette being all black.

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Thanks for all the feedback, I have tried a bit harder to create some more room for this image and raised the black point a little. Some of them are a bit tight because of the other camels but I can keep working on them. Its not my strongest point trying to chop out camels bums and heads but I will keep at it. How does this one look now?

Real Name
    Bill S

Works great for me!

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Wayne, you forgot to include the "[" character before the first IMG that is why your image is not showing up. Edit your post so the image will be added to your original post. It looks much better now. Good work!

I like the second version better also. However, for some odd reason it's apparent to me that the horizon is not level even though my eye doesn't detect that in the first version even when I look for it.

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    I like the second version better also. However, for some odd reason it's apparent to me that the horizon is not level even though my eye doesn't detect that in the first version even when I look for it.
    Hi Mike, the horizon is level but the foreground makes it look off a bit, its the angle of the pool.

Quote Originally Posted by WJT View Post
    Hi Mike, the horizon is level but the foreground makes it look off a bit, its the angle of the pool.
    Wayne,

In some landscape images, the scientifically level orientation does not produce the best image. If you feel that's the case with this image, that's perfectly understandable.

However, the horizon of the lake is definitely not level. When I raise the right side of the lake in your image to the top of my monitor, the left side of the lake is about 1/8" below the top of my monitor. If I were viewing a larger size of the same image, I am guessing that that discrepancy would be more easily noticed.

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Wayne,

In some landscape images, the scientifically level orientation does not produce the best image. If you feel that's the case with this image, that's perfectly understandable.

However, the horizon of the lake is definitely not level. When I raise the right side of the lake in your image to the top of my monitor, the left side of the lake is about 1/8" below the top of my monitor. If I were viewing a larger size of the same image, I am guessing that that discrepancy would be more easily noticed.
    Mike, I have looked at it again and this is level, if the last version wasn't. I did check it before as the original was not level so it was part of my PP.

Agreed, Wayne. This last version is perfectly level. I'm glad it took so many tries to get it there because that gave me so many opportunities to continue reviewing your gorgeous image.

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Thanks Mike, I'm fairly happy with this one. Appreciate your review and comments.