Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Portland

Portland

These shots were taken at Portland. CC welcome as always.

Steve

No1. I am in two minds about this rather odd composition and use of DoF. So I woud welcome your views. I know I need to brighten it up a little...or do I?

Portland

No2
    Portland

No3
    Portland

No4
    Portland

No5
    Portland

No6
    Portland
    Last edited by Wirefox; 3rd August 2009 at 07:52 PM.

Re: Portland

Steve,

These are very nice shots. I like No.2, 3, and 6 best, very simple and sharp - the way I like.

For No.1, I understand what you try to express, but the foreground blur is confusing my vision when I look at the whole picture. My eye can focus on the light house - which probably is the true focal point of the picture as well (I am not sure if you also want to attract viewers' focus on the bird or not), but my eye got interfered with the blur background constantly.

Just my feeling, maybe other people have different feeling.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Steve,

Some thoughts on these;

No.1 - the sort of shot I can imagine taking myself, unfortunately;
    There are three equal size and brightness potential subjects; seagull, light house and rock in front of light house.
    Plus another distracting rock on right edge of frame and some clouds.
    True it's not using the full tonal range, I'm not sure whether lightening up the light house and clouds will help, or just add the clouds as another potential subject vying for attention.

No.2 - one of those scenes you see and I walk past Possibly clone out the cable?
    Looks like you decided to have the drainpipe vertical, but unfortunately this makes the left edge of the building slope in (converging verticals) - perspective correct? Nice colours (WB) and exposure though.

No.3 - Classic shot, possibly a little too much at the top of frame, and not quite enough at the bottom*?
    * Quite possibly this would have introduced something to spoil the composition though.
    I might be seeing things, but have you done anything to this to enhance the converging verticals, the top doesn't look quite right to me?
    Again, nice colours and exposure, etc.

No.4 - Nice sunny shot, can't think of anything to suggest to improve it. It might be a tad bright on the side of the white building, but I'm not on my usual monitor, so I probably should NOT say that.

No.5 - Nice shot again, if mine, I'd definitely clone out the green tarpaulin wrapped thing behind the trees and the cable leading out of frame left, if not all four poles too. So the composition is a simpler hills, light house and huts affair. Is there room to out the light house nearer the right "third" line (by panning left a bit)?

No.6 - Another decent shot, technically fine, if only the house had a nice row of three normal 'pots instead of the stainless steel "H" monstrosity. Not sure why, but oddly, I think I like this one best.

I hope the comments help,
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 4th August 2009 at 06:50 PM. Reason: added NOT

Yan

This was the critique I was looking for. I was very unsure about this and it was entirely experimental. For some reason I am still in two minds it keeps attracting me back in an oddball sort of way.

Dave

As usual you are acting as the pair of eyes I should carry around in my camera bag.....Blade Runner
    I might be seeing things, but have you done anything to this to enhance the converging verticals, the top doesn't look quite right to me?
    Drat, nobbled again. When I can get my PP past you I think I may well have earned my stripes. Yes I did use the perspective tool in GIMP. The original seemed to distorted to my eye but I will go back to this one because I quite like the shot.

That green tarpaulin wrapped thing is my wife answering the call of nature. Joking aside I did not spot that one.

I think No6 is my favorite too. I was restricted here due to the telephone box being behind a five foot fence but I loved the 'vandalised' kiosk.

Once again many thanks to both of you for your constructive comments

Steve

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    but I loved the 'vandalised' kiosk.
    Oh, that's harsh

It just needs a bit (ok, a lot) of loving care and attention.
    More vandalised by the salt air than humans.

Glad to help (if that's what it is ).

You can have a crack at some more of mine later ...

Cheers,

I like #2 the most and the telephone booth in the last one, or maybe its a time machine?