Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Elephants

Real Name
    Clive

Elephants

I’d been sitting for hours on the banks of the dry Boteti River watching the birds and scanning the trees for game; generally passing the time of day “as you do”. I thought eventually something had to walk down the well-trodden game path on the opposite bank. I saw movement in the trees then one- two and finally a third male elephant came lumbering down the path, heads bobbing and trunks swinging in synch with their walk. They walked across the river bed and into the bush behind me. As with most game viewing it consists of brief pieces of action.
    When I look at this image my attention is drawn to the trees as I know of the hours I waited for something to appear from the thick riverine cover.
    C&C welcome

Elephants

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Re: Elephants

Clive, did you shoot in colour or B&W. Are the elephants not more prominent in colour? If you crop, the path the elephants followed will be destroyed. I like the idea that the picture actully tells you where the elephants came from.

Real Name
    pinaki

This same question peeped into my mind.I would love to see the image in colour.Good composition thuogh.

What a neat experience. I noticed that my eye went right to the trees. As I moved this page down I watched as the photo cropped. As I moved it down and the view of the trees was decresed (like cropping) The eye popped directly to the elephants.
    I think cropping the top down to the point that you show the path coming out of the trees makes the elephants pop off the page.

Real Name
    Bobo

Excellent shot Clive. The vast number of subjects you can play with is amazing.

Real Name
    Clive

Hi All, many thanks for the positive comments and feedback. I actually shot this a few years ago with a P&S Sony Cybershot. The colour image captured by the camera was not great and no amount of processing would do it justice, I felt that the image was very flat and disappointing. A few weeks ago whilst going through old pictures I felt the image had potential and would do a B&W conversion.