Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Panning!

Real Name
    Raul or Gabriel

Panning!

Hey guys, just started doing some panning. Its somewhat my first time, is this picture good enough? if not, then what suggestions can you give me?
    Gear: Nikon D5000, 18-200mm 3.5
    ISO 250, 1/20, f10

Panning!

Real Name
    Paul

Re: Panning!

Raul, looks like you have the technique down fairly well but are in need of a bit higher shutter speed. How you get there is up to you, but I would have likely bumped to ISO 400 and use between f5-f8 The shutter speed of around 1/300-1/500 sec would get you sharper results. I would say depending upon the speed of the car...towards the higher end of that speed will be best. If the car is only moving slower than reduce it as needed to keep movement in the wheels.
    Oh and Practice, practice, practice....you will get it down fairly quickly being you are not to far off now.

Real Name
    Richard

I don't know about Nikon gear but, many Canon lenses with Image Stabilization capability (from second issue IS on) incorporate two modes of IS. Mode-I is for shooting images when your camera is still and Mode-II is for when you are panning as you shoot.

Mode-I incorporates IS in both the vertical and horizontal planes but, will cause problems if the camera is moving such as in a panning shot. It will attempt to stabilize the horizontally moving camera.

Mode-II has only vertical IS and shuts off the horizontal Image Stabilization. That way, the IS is not fighting you when you pan.

The first issue of Image Stabilization lenses did not incorporate the two modes so you could not pan with IS on. Canon brought out the Mode-I and Mode-II Image Stabilization in the second issue of IS equipped lenses. As an example, my 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens did not allow panning when the IS was turned on. However, my 300mm f/4L IS lens is equipped with dual mode IS and allows panning.

I will agree with Paul, that a bit higher shutter speed might have frozen the car better while still allowing the background to have motion blur...

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Raul,

As a test shot, not bad.
    As a panned photo of a vehicle, my suggestions to improve are;

* try to capture the front of the vehicle, not the rear (i.e. with it still coming towards you)
    * practice
    * think about where (on the vehicle) you put your focus point, since that will be the only truly sharp bit
    * practice
    * use a shutter speed appropriate to the vehicle's speed/your angular panning speed, distances to both subject & background and any wheel or propeller blur required
    * practice
    * remember follow through (e.g. as with a golf swing) - if you anticipate stopping, you'll get poor results
    * practice
    * if you can, shoot a burst of 2-3 shots
    * practice

The shutter speed here probably is too slow - the fairly plain background does not need to be that blurred, but it would be different if there were text banners behind.

I have the same camera and lens - you only need the Normal VR mode for this kind of shot, what Richard is talking about, while valid for Canon, doesn't apply to Nikon or this lens (as he acknowledges).
    Don't be tempted by the alternative "Active" VR mode; that's only for use when you are on a vibrating platform like a moving vehicle/train/ship deck.

Hope that helps,

Real Name
    Raul or Gabriel

Dave, thanks for the advice. Ill remember that. What settings would you suggest to make a possibly better picture?

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Fstop Manalo View Post
    Dave, thanks for the advice. Ill remember that. What settings would you suggest to make a possibly better picture?
    That's for you to discover with the "practice"

On the above, which isn't really that relevant, I'd have said about 1/60s to 1/80s - so the dots of light visible through the trees, which have become lines with the pan, are about one third to one quarter the length they are now.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Steve

I'm really aweful at panning because I'm always holding the button down. I think I would use a faster speed though, but the van looks alright to me.