Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: I tried

Real Name
    Blake

I tried

I tried

Well, I attempted to do a pano. Turns out my tripod wasn't perfectly level, so I lost a lot of res. Now that I think about it I really should have shot with the camera in portrait, too.

C'est la vie, I'll try another one sometime.

By then maybe I will have learned how to use hugin properly, too.

Real Name
    Bobo

Re: I tried

50 views and not one reply! Is this what this place has come to??

Firstly, I am no expert though I have tried doing something like this before.

Apart from a level/sturdy tripod the other thing to watch out for is getting too ambitious. Otherwise you risk ending up with exactly this kind of long and narrow.

If you do want to get ambitious - do it in portrait as you have already found out and do a 3 grid vertical and horizontal with a roughly 30-40% overlap.

Hope this helps.

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Hi Blake,
    It is a beautiful scene you shot there. Have to agree that portrait would have been better.
    What focal length did you use?
    Have'nt done this in ages. Got a Sony that does it all for me, if I need to.
    Yep you have been too ambitious with this one, as Bobo said. Bobo, would 2 vertical and 5 or 6 horizontal in portrait not have done it?
    Good luck with the next one. Keep on trying.
    Still amazed with the scene.

Real Name
    Bobo

@Andre

There are some issues that a pano has to resolve. One is perspective distortion on the verticals ie things like buildings etc. The portrait shooting positions should fix that somewhat. The other is changes in the focal plane as objects may get closer or further away.

How many shots? Hard to say, depends on what the photographer wants to capture. Blake's pano will take quite a few shots for proper overlap. A narrower view would obviously need fewer shots.
    Last edited by Bobobird; 7th July 2012 at 02:41 AM.

Real Name
    Grahame

Hi Blake,

Well it 'may' have been overambitious but your technique has produced a pretty good result that you can learn from. Personally I would have loved to see this without the foliage distraction in the foreground.

Cheers, Grahame

Real Name
    Blake

I'll likely be re-doing it from the same spot next time I'm there. The only problem is that there isn't much I can do about the foliage in the foreground.