Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: D90 over Nikon D3000

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    48
    Real Name
    Marco Andrade

    D90 over Nikon D3000

    Hi guys, I was looking for suggestions about this issue but I will explain my point of view and interests so you can help me better on this case.

    I have at the moment a Nikon D3000, not a bad camera at all but I feel that is missing something, I don't feel that I'm taking the most of my two new lens, a Sigma FLD 8mm-16mm F/4.5-5.6 super wide angle and Nikon 70-300 mm F/4-5.6. Still I love the camera but a friend of mine has a D90 and he keeps saying that he won't trade it for nothing (Hard to believe but it's his own words...) and it's one of the cheapest models I can get (Around 600€, new). But I wanted other's view because some people tend to fall in love for their cameras and lose reason over it.

    I don't have a specific lane of style but I go around nature, wildlife, landscapes,sports and a bit of this and that.

    So what do you think? Is it a good buy or should I invest in another one rather then the D90.

    Note: Over here in Portugal things aren't easy so I'm not planning for now to get a top camera.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin USA
    Posts
    38
    Real Name
    Michael Herde

    Re: D90 over Nikon D3000

    I have the D90 for about 3 years now, great camera. I am saving to upgrade to the new model of the D300s in the fall. I need a back up, unit not that the D90 is bad. It is a great unit!!

  3. #3
    Stagecoach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Suva, Fiji
    Posts
    5,919
    Real Name
    Grahame

    Re: D90 over Nikon D3000

    Hi Marco,

    Ok, so you feel your D3000 is missing something and need to make some decisions. Firstly, any camera you purchase will generally be missing something compared to the next 'more expensive' choice.

    I'm a bit confused as to your statement "I don't feel that I'm taking (making ?) the most of my two new lens, a Sigma FLD 8mm-16mm F/4.5-5.6 super wide angle and Nikon 70-300 mm F/4-5.6".

    Can you explain how and why you consider that the D90 will allow you to make more of your existing two lens, and also what the D3000 is presently 'missing' that's important to you. By understanding what improvements you are hoping to get will help others to give you advice.

    When upgrading it's a good idea to be clear of specific improvements you are looking for. As an example and perhaps a very simple one I upgraded years ago from a D80 to a D300 for the only reason that I specifically required Liveview for my macro work.

    The D90 is of course an excellent camera and there will also always be better and worse to compare it with.

    Cheers, Grahame

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    48
    Real Name
    Marco Andrade

    Re: D90 over Nikon D3000

    Hi Grahame, thank you for putting that way, yes one thing that the D90 is better is the grain control at higher ISO and as you see I don't have a great aperture lens limiting me to the use of high ISO in low light ambient and plus some better image quality. About the "taking/making" is about the same thing. That is one of the points plus the programs and live view that in some cases like smaller objects (macro) could help, also in crowded places is hard to see trough the viewfinder so it helps also. Among other options that the D3000 misses.

  5. #5
    Stagecoach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Suva, Fiji
    Posts
    5,919
    Real Name
    Grahame

    Re: D90 over Nikon D3000

    Hi Marco,

    That makes things much clearer as you have now given an indication of the improvements you have considered as a worthwhile reason for your upgrade. Possibly now someone more familar and experienced with the current models on the market at equivalent costs you mention for the D90 may be able to suggest any alternative worth considering and the reasons why.

    Unfortunately I'm unable to help here as I live in a country where we have no photographic shops and the only Nikon DSLR being sold is an old model basic bridge camera. This is only available in one store where you will be told it's the latest and best proffesional camera available by the sales girl before she nips to the next counter to deal with a clothing sale. So whilst I get to read about all the models on the market I never get to see them.

    Cheers, Grahame

  6. #6
    Black Pearl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Whitburn, Sunderland
    Posts
    2,323
    Real Name
    Robin

    Re: D90 over Nikon D3000

    The D90 is a fair bit better at high ISO noise but unless you're printing huge images or your exposure technique is forcing you to lighten shots in PP then noise shouldn't be an issue with the camera you have. Yes if you 'pixel peep' your shots at 100% you are going to hit the limitations of the older sensor but thats not real world viewing.

    Mind you - the D90 has two input dials meaning it is easier to use in manual mode, the viewfinder is better - though still not 100%, the flash supports Nikon's Creative Lighting System, it's faster and on a subjective note, it feels better. Same AF though so you're not going to gain there.

    If you can get one cheap enough then the 'upgrade' might be worth it but personally I'd hold out for a D7000 which is better in every way. Better high ISO, better viewfinder (100%), better AF, better build, better screen, faster....etc.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    48
    Real Name
    Marco Andrade

    Re: D90 over Nikon D3000

    Hi Robin I have been trough the specs in the D7000 and as you say it outperforms the D90 easily, although over here is 200 or 400 € more then the D90, but maybe saving a few more euros I can buy one. Thanks for the info...

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    253
    Real Name
    Pete

    Re: D90 over Nikon D3000

    Quote Originally Posted by black pearl View Post

    If you can get one cheap enough then the 'upgrade' might be worth it but personally I'd hold out for a D7000 which is better in every way. Better high ISO, better viewfinder (100%), better AF, better build, better screen, faster....etc.
    what about a d5100 ? price similar to d90. And certainly has a better sensor.

    Someone mentioned the upgrade to the d300. Will it happen? Especially if the Rumoured d600 is full frame.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    48
    Real Name
    Marco Andrade

    Re: D90 over Nikon D3000

    The D5100 is a nice piece too but it lacks the speed and those many focus points of the D7000, making me chimp around to get to right position. But is cheaper that is true... but I think as Robin told why not hold a bit longer and get the D7000, the top of it's class.

    Thanks for the advise anyhow

  10. #10

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Johannesburg South Africa
    Posts
    2,550
    Real Name
    Andre Burger

    Re: D90 over Nikon D3000

    Hi Marco,
    If you want to upgrade simply because your friend has a D90 compared to your D3000, you will be making a mistake.
    The only time you upgrade is if you outgrow your camera. When it can no longer do what you want to do with it.
    If you are happy with your D3000 and get the shots you want, enjoy it and use it.

    Your friend may have a "better" camera than you do, but will it be better for you?????
    Don't look at what others have look at what you need.
    The D90 cannot take better pictures than the D3000 simply because it is more expensive.

    Andre

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    253
    Real Name
    Pete

    Re: D90 over Nikon D3000

    Quote Originally Posted by MFCA View Post
    The D5100 is a nice piece too but it lacks the speed and those many focus points of the D7000, making me chimp around to get to right position. But is cheaper that is true... but I think as Robin told why not hold a bit longer and get the D7000, the top of it's class.

    Thanks for the advise anyhow
    I would always advocate getting the best you can but if you hold out a bit longer the d7100 might be out After all Photokina is on it's way! And Nikon will need to do something to the upper end DX.

    There is always a better camera coming!

  12. #12
    jereve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Wigan, Lancs.
    Posts
    28
    Real Name
    John

    Re: D90 over Nikon D3000

    Hi Marco,
    I've just taken delivery of a new D7000, and I believe it was worth the wait. I have been without since my last one (D80) was stolen, but I read all about the various cameras and decided to hang on until I had the money needed. I also treated myself to a 50 mm f1.4 lens and it is fantastic in low light. The downside is that there is so much new stuff about the camera to learn but at least it should be enjoyable learning it.

    John

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    48
    Real Name
    Marco Andrade

    Re: D90 over Nikon D3000

    Quote Originally Posted by AB26 View Post
    Hi Marco,
    If you want to upgrade simply because your friend has a D90 compared to your D3000, you will be making a mistake.
    The only time you upgrade is if you outgrow your camera. When it can no longer do what you want to do with it.
    If you are happy with your D3000 and get the shots you want, enjoy it and use it.

    Your friend may have a "better" camera than you do, but will it be better for you?????
    Don't look at what others have look at what you need.
    The D90 cannot take better pictures than the D3000 simply because it is more expensive.

    Andre
    Hi Andre, lol I think you missed the point but thanks anyway. The D90 was a "reference" point for the next level camera I would like to apply my money, not because he had one (although I liked your point of view, because I once thought that way). Unfortunately the D3000 is easily outgrown leaving somewhat limited in your creativity because of quality standards.

  14. #14
    Scottm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Johannesburg, South Africa
    Posts
    22
    Real Name
    Scott

    Re: D90 over Nikon D3000

    Quote Originally Posted by thequacksoflife View Post
    Someone mentioned the upgrade to the d300. Will it happen? Especially if the Rumoured d600 is full frame.
    Some rumors indicate the D600 will be an entry-level full-frame, probably with a 24MP sensor, while a D400 will be a top-of-the-range DX, replacing the D300s. Whether this D400 will also double up as the replacement for the D7000 remains to be seen.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    253
    Real Name
    Pete

    Re: D90 over Nikon D3000

    Quote Originally Posted by Scottm View Post
    Some rumors indicate the D600 will be an entry-level full-frame, probably with a 24MP sensor, while a D400 will be a top-of-the-range DX, replacing the D300s. Whether this D400 will also double up as the replacement for the D7000 remains to be seen.
    interesting one. Not seen much buzz about a d400 for ages. I'm doubting that the d400 will happen and that it will be d7100 and then d600. We should know either way soon I imagine. If a D400 is coming it should be announced for photokina..... personally I hope a d400 is on its way!

  16. #16

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Johannesburg South Africa
    Posts
    2,550
    Real Name
    Andre Burger

    Re: D90 over Nikon D3000

    Quote Originally Posted by MFCA View Post
    Hi Andre, lol I think you missed the point but thanks anyway. The D90 was a "reference" point for the next level camera I would like to apply my money, not because he had one (although I liked your point of view, because I once thought that way). Unfortunately the D3000 is easily outgrown leaving somewhat limited in your creativity because of quality standards.
    Sorry if I missed the point. To tell someone else what camera to buy is a little like telling a Gholfer what driver to buy.
    If you handle a camera, you like it, it can do what you want it to do and it fits your budget, no reason not to buy it. The D90 is a great camera, handled one myself the other day - and kind of fell in love with it. I must agree, if you can afford a D7000 it will serve you better for longer.

    Andre

  17. #17
    Scottm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Johannesburg, South Africa
    Posts
    22
    Real Name
    Scott

    Re: D90 over Nikon D3000

    Quote Originally Posted by thequacksoflife View Post
    interesting one. Not seen much buzz about a d400 for ages. I'm doubting that the d400 will happen and that it will be d7100 and then d600. We should know either way soon I imagine. If a D400 is coming it should be announced for photokina..... personally I hope a d400 is on its way!
    Have a look at the following D400 and/or D600 Roumours

  18. #18
    Administrator Manfred M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    12,863
    Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

    Re: D90 over Nikon D3000

    We are a two D90 camera family, and in its day it was a very good high end amateur camera. It's well over 4 years old now and is getting a bit long in the tooth. I would certainly not recommend getting one any more, as both the 5100 and 7000 are newer technology. I would be hard pressed to say that you will get better images out of it versus your D3000, although I suspect low light performance may be better on the D90.

    The viewfinder is the same size on both cameras, and the main difference is that the D3000 uses a pentamirror versus the D90's pentaprism, If the small viewfinder is an issue, I'm afraid that you'll have to go full-frame to get a larger finder. If you are not getting the full performance out of your lenses, I would look to improving your technique, as this is more than likely the root cause of that issue.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •