Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Deep in Thought

  1. #1
    Amberglass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    343

    Deep in Thought

    Image for school brochure and website that my children attends:

    Deep in Thought
    D700 with 24-70 2.8 at f4, ISO 400, shutter speed 1/80th, SB800 TTL down 1/3rd.
    Last edited by Amberglass; 2nd August 2009 at 04:43 PM. Reason: additons

  2. #2
    Alis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,544
    Real Name
    Ali

    Re: Deep in Thought

    Quote Originally Posted by Amberglass View Post
    Image for school brochure and website that my children attends:


    D700 with 24-70 2.8 at f4, ISO 400, shutter speed 1/80th, SB800 TTL down 1/3rd.
    This is beautifu. How is the flash used? Bounced?
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 2nd August 2009 at 08:49 PM.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    17,662
    Real Name
    Have a guess :)

    Re: Deep in Thought

    Quote Originally Posted by Amberglass View Post
    Image for school brochure and website that my children attends:
    Very nice execution and processing. Of course in my day I'd have been told to "Sit up straight - get my elbows off the desk - and to hold the pencil in my right hand!"

  4. #4
    Amberglass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    343

    Re: Deep in Thought

    Quote Originally Posted by Alis View Post
    This is beautifu. How is the flash used? Bounced?
    I used Gary Fong's Reporter Lightsphere mounted on the speedlight. The camera setup was balanced on a couple of books.

    http://store.garyfonginc.com/wtcompleter.html
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8TDsmDs2Wg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g12BN...eature=related - mounting instructions and positions.

    The Reporter diffuser is smaller than the big brother Whale Tail. The top flap is vertical (bouncing off white ceiling panels) and I opened the bottom flap just slightingly to bounce off table (also white sheet of paper he was working on, splash down from ceiling) surface to illuminate the boy's face. I really try to balance the flash with the ambient lighting of the room. I hate the "obvious use of flash" look and prefers more natural looking lighting.
    Last edited by Amberglass; 2nd August 2009 at 11:46 PM. Reason: correction

  5. #5
    Amberglass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    343

    Re: Deep in Thought

    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Very nice execution and processing. Of course in my day I'd have been told to "Sit up straight - get my elbows off the desk - and to hold the pencil in my right hand!"
    He did originally when I sat on the far end of the table. But it looked so "fake and unnatural" for him, so I waited him out until he obviously lost interest in me. Did a couple of test shots, nailed my flash and metering, placed my camera down with self timer, and viola. Au natural student.

  6. #6
    Moderator Dave Humphries's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Windsor, Berks, UK
    Posts
    16,393
    Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

    Re: Deep in Thought

    Quote Originally Posted by Amberglass View Post
    I really try to balance the flash with the ambient lighting of the room. I hate the "obvious use of flash" look and prefers more natural looking lighting.
    Me thinks you got it just right!

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    17,662
    Real Name
    Have a guess :)

    Re: Deep in Thought

    Quote Originally Posted by Amberglass View Post
    I used Gary Fong's Reporter Lightsphere mounted on the speedlight. The camera setup was balanced on a couple of books.
    Good to see another Gary Fong fan here

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •