Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: White shadow around figures - What could cause this?

Real Name
    Gary

White shadow around figures - What could cause this?

Hello,

I was trying for the first time to capture some images from a cricket match. The weather was bright with sun and clouds. The sun was behind and to the left. Basically, I was panning to follow the action then pressing the shutter at what I thought was the correct time. I hope that the image I have posted shows it but on my monitor there is a sort of white shadow around the the figures. Especially, the one in the foreground. Could anyone offer any suggestions as to why this might be happening?

Camera used Canon G2, exposure, f/2, 1/250, ISO 50. Focal length 21mm (35mm equvalient approx 100mm). Handheld. The image was shot in RAW and the image has not been edited.

Cheers for now

Gary

White shadow around figures - What could cause this?

Real Name
    Virginia

Re: White shadow around figures - What could cause this?

It looks like it was just foggy, perhaps not enough to cause your actual eyes' problems but enough to foggy up your images. I've seen that when the sun is just about to break through apparently because the sun has the effect of emphasizing very light colors, like the white uniform parts, just enough to cause the "glow" effect. Back in the days of my original Kodak Brownie, I thought it was pretty cool. Now I WANT CONTROL! ;~)

However, the image you've put online has been processed, whether you've thought about it or not, because it's a ,jpg not your camera's RAW image which won't show on anybody's website without some very special software. Assuming that, I'd probably have a tighter focus on the players and less of the park. And, when processing this image in its RAW state, I'd probably go into my FastStone color curves adjustments and slide the dot that's toward the bottom left of the angled line (1 over and 1 up) so that it's halfway between 0 and 1 precisely on the first vertical line of the graph. It will help things some but it's probably impossible to get rid of all the fog right around the players without more serious editing. Obviously, you could also fiddle the individual colors as well. JMHO.

v

Real Name
    Frank Miller

HHHmmmmm... I've seen this 'look' when I took a camera from an air-conditioned environment outdoors Gary. It was caused by condensation on the cold lens. After a few minutes the moisture evaporated as the lens warmed up and the rest of my images were fine. This scene looks like it is in bright sunlight so there shouldn't have been any real fog involved.

Real Name
    Gary

Thanks for your replies.

Frank, mentioning condensation on the lens made me go and check the front of the lens. Red face and embarrassment moment. As it looks like a dirty great finger print has crept onto the lens of which I must be the owner! Ahhhhh! what an idiot I am!

Unfortunately, with the G2 I am at max. focal length. It looks like I would need to be somewhere in the 200mm+ to be able to get a much tighter shot which as Drjuice has said would be a better composition.

Cheers for now

Gary

Real Name
    Darren

Yup, I would have gone with condensation as well. I just returned from New Orleans and the condensation all over my lens, camera, tripod, and my body was enough to drive anyone nuts. I use No Fog (Nikon product) and instead of fog all I got was a nice even sheet of water on the lens. Perfect.

Good thinking - the prize goes to Frank Miller.

I wouldn't have thought of that as my climate doesn't have these extremes of humidity and temperature. Where I used to live (north of Montana and N. Dakota), taking a camera inside from the outdoors in the winter would cause this, but it's been too long.

Glenn