Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: A Hallway

A Hallway

Living in San Francisco more than 10 years but I didn't have a chance to visit San Francisco City Hall so I decided going there one day. It is beautiful inside. I took a lot of shot but this is the picture I like the most. The original is color and I changed to black and white. It is not easy to take the picture inside because of the tourists and also the couples who want to get married. Feel free to give me your comments and suggestions. Do you like the color or black and white picture? Thank you very much.

COLOR

A Hallway

BLACK & WHITE

A Hallway

Real Name
    Greg

Re: A Hallway

Both are very nice photo's. The first version has some nice soft colours in the sandstone walls and I like how it leads into the soft grey of the columns and floor then your view is draw to the dark door at the end. Very appealing.
    The B&W version lets you concentrate more on the architecture itself.
    My only advice would be that the photo seems to need a very slight CCW rotation and maybe a slightly tighter crop to remove the light and fire detector (if that is what it is) at the top centre of the image.
    Maybe also use a burn tool on the lights and the reflection in the floor to darken them a little but thats probably a personal taste thing.
    I would love to visit San Francisco again. Last time was 1978. Beautiful city.
    Well done.
    Cheers Greg

Real Name
    Ray

Ditto Greg's comments. When dealing with shots like these i like to get down low...and lower. I wonder if you could shoot this kneeling or even lying down...tricky in public places I know but a small change in height does wonders to the perspective.

Ray

Real Name
    Greg

Good point Ray.
    A lower angle could make this photo really interesting.
    Fancy another trip there phugaiy?

Hi Gregj1763,
    Thank you for your suggestion.
    @ Blueheeler: Kneeling down or lying down on the floor is not problem for me. The problem is I have to wait there is no people on the hallway which is not easy because this is government office so there is always staff walking on the hallway. I will give it a try again. Thank you

A Hallway