Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: HDR Mount Shasta

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

HDR Mount Shasta

This is the mountain from a location where I haven't captured it before. The mountain is different from every angle and, like most mountains, changes moment by moment with lighting, weather and atmospheric changes. This is HDR with a painterly treatment.

Chuck

[IMG]HDR Mount Shasta[/IMG]

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Re: HDR Mount Shasta

Chuck,

Very very beautiful place and well captured. But IMHO the 'painterly treatment' isn't doing justice to an otherwise ooutstanding shot.

But possibly if printed in another form, for example on canvas, this method would produce excellent results.

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Thank you Sahil and Geoff for the kind words and input. I plan to offer the HDR in both versions (painterly and non-painterly)to a couple galleries in the area. I'm almost sure they will prefer the painterly...I prefer it myself but I know I drive some photographers nuts with where I go with my images. I have it printed on metallic paper and it looks great in a brown frame. I have done some gallery wraps (on canvas) with painterly images and they do look quite nice. If this image begins to sell I'll go for a gallery wrap but it's expensive and runs up my inventory cost so I'll wait to see if it's popular.

I'll post the non-painterly version below for comparison. Some people prefer non-painterly but I can't always be sure which will sell. The painterly version has a bit more color and drama (we would say over-saturated) and some people are looking for that artsy look more than a technically good photograph. That said, a technically good photograph is the best starting place regardless of where you go with an image.

HDR Mount Shasta
    Last edited by CNelson; 30th June 2012 at 12:42 AM.