Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The Lighthouse

Real Name
    Beverley

The Lighthouse

Hi All

I have been practicing my sunsets and would welcome any c/c's on these photographs.

I would also be interested in how I could have improved the composition.

Thank-you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    John

Re: The Lighthouse

Hi Beverley,
    Welcome to CiC, it's good to have you with us.

I like the 1st picture the best, I like the overall compostion, but would have liked the overexposed area, at the top of the lighthouse to be just slightly darker; so the lighthouse is just a bit clearer. I wouldn't like the overexposed area totally removed because I think it add's something to the picture.
    The 2nd picture looks a bit 'soft' on my screen; number 1 is the winner for me. Well done.

Yes, I agree with John.

With the second one, has the camera focused on the far distance, which is too far away to appear sharp, and that has left the foreground slightly out of focus?

Real Name
    Beverley

Hi Guys, thanks for the replies.

I prefer the first picture as well. How would I make the over-exposed area darker, could I do that in photoshop? Not sure why the other one is slightly out of focus, I had the tripod down on the sand, and wondered whether it may have shook a bit when I pressed the button.

More practice required!!

Real Name
    John

Hi Beverley,
    I'm no PP expert but would use the 'Burn' tool in Photoshop, set to about 75%. If you use this method just don't over-do the darken process, it only needs a slight adjustment.
    I'm sure other will advise you of other methods that may be better suited to this task.
    Regards

Real Name
    Robert S.

Not sure why the other one is slightly out of focus, I had the tripod down on the sand, and wondered whether it may have shook a bit when I pressed the button.
    Regards
    Hi, I do not know what camera you have. If you do not have a remote trigger you could maybe use self timer to avoid camera shake.

bye
    Robert

What I do with over exposure problems, Beverley, is to shoot Raw then make two conversions with different exposure settings. One for midtones/shadows and another for highlights.

Combine the best bits of each by stacking them as layers and editing with a mask.

Not too difficult if you have suitable software; but it takes a little bit of practice.

Also, I'm afraid that it looks as though you have a bit of dust on your camera sensor. See the top right corner of #1.

Real Name
    Beverley

Thanks for all your suggestions, I will have a go at them.

Regards