Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Good vs Bad

Real Name
    Rob Farnell

Good vs Bad

The difference between a good day at the beach.....and a bad day at the beach

Good vs Bad

Good vs Bad

Thanks for looking,
    Rob

Real Name
    colin

Re: Good vs Bad

Great pictures Rob, number 2 has lots of atmosphere.
    Are those sheds lookouts? We have surf life savers with similar structures in Australia.

Cheers Colin

Real Name
    Bobo

Great environmental pics.

You might want to mitigate the haloing around the shed in #2.

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

2nd image is full of drama. Love it

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Very nice pairing! The second image is really dramatic. I wish the foreground grass in the first image had been out of focus.

How far apart were these two images captured? (I didn't take the time to download them and look for EXIF data.)

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Great shots Rob! One thing to consider: If you can reshoot the first image on a good day from the same position as the second one was shot, the before and after will be more dramatic and you'll eliminate the grasses for the set. I like the composition with the grasses in the stand-alone image.

Real Name
    Rob Farnell

Thanks all,
    The first one was taken May 5, 2012 and the second one yesterday after work and ater the effect of tropical storm Debby. I did't think about doing a side by side till I got home and started looking at them, then I tried to find one of my older ones that was as close in location as I could. Never thought I would have the chance to do a before and after like that. Also I'm just started messin around with the HDR, I really like the look it gave the stormy one. Not sure how to correct the halo around the life guard tower that was commented on earlier.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by rwfarnell View Post
    Not sure how to correct the halo around the life guard tower that was commented on earlier.
    I'm guessing that you used the HDR software on a single image as movement (such as waves) tends to mess up a three shot auto-bracketed set of images. Halos at the edges of high contrast borders are common when tonemapping. One method to correct it is to gently (low opacity) blend back in some of the original image until the halo isn't noticeable.

In both these images, a little bit more room between the top of the pole and the frame would feel less cramped.