Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Hive

Real Name
    Bobo

Hive

Wasp hive inside a portable toilet. Someone will be in for a good fright one day.

The 2 wasps seemed pretty docile but I was a bit hesitant about moving in closer.

Hive

Hive

Re: Hive

I dont much care for these ornery critters.. but WOW! awesome capture... I especially like the top one...

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Great work. I really like #1. It has a feature that many of us, I for one anyway, try very hard to encapsulate in our framing and composition. The main subject 'leaps' out at you and has a very distinct 3D aspect. You have done this so well, so much better than I seem to ever manage, that I am going to make a waxen image of you and stick many pins in it whilst chanting the appropriate voodoo mantra! ( Only joking... maybe... )

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Trina. That is what I initially saw at the top of the toilet. The curving cover hid the wasps. Then climbed up on the seat platform and saw those 2. Take a shot and got off as quickly as the cramped conditions allowed. Only back home realised that the shot could have been much better (#2) if I had known about that intricate head pattern. Ah well there is always a retry.

Thanks Ken - pushing pins is supposed to get some response from the "pricked". Perhaps it was that.

What really amazes me is the fact that you can see the outline of the forming larvae so clearly
    ... would you mind sharing what you used.. camera? lens?

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks again Trina.

Camera : 550D (T2i)
    Lens : Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM APO Macro

ISO800, f16, 1/13sec, remotely triggered diffused flash placed on a "shelf" in the back wall corner and bounced off the roof.

This is what the toilet looks like. Note the roof - excellent bounce material if seems.

http://www.oops.ca/toilet_types.htm

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Wow. that proves photographers can go to ny extent to take a good pic and are looking for a good subject even while relieving themselves.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
    Wow. that proves photographers can go to ny extent to take a good pic and are looking for a good subject even while relieving themselves.
    Not really good timing if you happen to disturb the nest!

Real Name
    Bobo

Quote Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
    I did but that was before. Returned with camera and did not need to do it again but after seeing the wasps I sort of wanted to but...

Right on Frank. Next time I am going to keep the door open. If there is a next time...

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Chuckle!

Real Name
    Miltos

Bobo this is something more than a great photograph. Bravo!

The light is perfect. The interior of every cell is evenly lit without any disturbing highlight or heavy shadow or noise. And the details, the texture, the colors... wow!

These scary little heads in there... I see you have found some aliens inside your toilet. Frightening.

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Miltos.
    You just made me a very happy person. No one and I mean no one has ever said something like this about any of my pics. Beer being flown your way.