IMG_0580 by flyfitz, on Flickr

Reddish Egret - South Andros
    Untitled by flyfitz, on Flickr

Thanks for looking!

Sean Fitz

Real Name
    Louise

Re: Reddish Egret - South Andros

Hello Sean, the first one is my favorite. It shows the bird in all its fine details and his usual posture. He even looks grumpy. .
    IMO, #2&3 should show the legs and feet as well. A nice trio.

Real Name
    Sean Fitzpatrick

Thanks for the feedback! Agree with the feet issue; I can't even blame a bad crop, composition was off in camera!

Thanks,

Sean

Real Name
    Joe

Hi Sean, nice bird but the color seems to be off. I have shot several Reddish Egrets and the grey is softer. The images appear over processed, it makes me wonder what the image looks like straight out of the camera. Concerning the legs...been there done that. I have done that when making sure I focus on the eyes without paying attention to the rest of the frame. I have discovered that if I move the focus point from the center to a top level focus point it helps to avoid cutting off the feet.

Real Name
    Sean Fitzpatrick

Quote Originally Posted by jprzybyla View Post
    Hi Sean, nice bird but the color seems to be off. I have shot several Reddish Egrets and the grey is softer. The images appear over processed, it makes me wonder what the image looks like straight out of the camera. Concerning the legs...been there done that. I have done that when making sure I focus on the eyes without paying attention to the rest of the frame. I have discovered that if I move the focus point from the center to a top level focus point it helps to avoid cutting off the feet.
    Thanks and I see that here on my my work machine (uncalibrated monitor.) FWIW, grays are much lighter on my home machine (calibrated) and on my iPad (super bright.) This stuff drives me nuts! Also, not sure if anyone has noticed, but it seems like the Clarity effect using Local Adjustments in LR really darkens a non-white bird. So much that I often have to bump up Exposure afterwards.

Thanks again for the feedback--very useful!

Sean

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by FlyFitz View Post
    Thanks and I see that here on my my work machine (uncalibrated monitor.) FWIW, grays are much lighter on my home machine (calibrated) and on my iPad (super bright.) This stuff drives me nuts! Also, not sure if anyone has noticed, but it seems like the Clarity effect using Local Adjustments in LR really darkens a non-white bird. So much that I often have to bump up Exposure afterwards.

Thanks again for the feedback--very useful!

Sean
    See how this one looks on your monitors. I shot is last winter on the east coast of Florida. I post processed on my HP Envy laptop also with a bright monitor like your iPad. I calibrate/profile the monitor every two weeks or sooner depending on what I am doing. I always have the worry of wondering if what looks good on my display appears the same on other peoples display. Please let me know what you think.

Reddish Egret - South Andros

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by FlyFitz View Post
    Thanks for the feedback! Agree with the feet issue; I can't even blame a bad crop, composition was off in camera!

Thanks,

Sean
    Hi Sean,

Count me as another person that spends a long time getting the top left or top right focus point on the eye and still manages amputates the legs!

Good series, I actually prefer the ruffled/agressive look of #2 and #3

Cheers,

Real Name
    Bobo

Excellent series.

I don't mind the cut off feet in 2 and 3. Sometimes for big birds something has to go for really close shots and it is better the feet then then head.