Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Reddish Egret - South Andros

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Annapolis, MD USA
    Posts
    87
    Real Name
    Sean Fitzpatrick

    Reddish Egret - South Andros

    #1
    Reddish Egret - South Andros
    IMG_0572 by flyfitz, on Flickr

    #2
    Reddish Egret - South Andros
    IMG_0580 by flyfitz, on Flickr

    #3
    Reddish Egret - South Andros
    Untitled by flyfitz, on Flickr

    Thanks for looking!

    Sean Fitz

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Québec,Canada
    Posts
    696
    Real Name
    Louise

    Re: Reddish Egret - South Andros

    Hello Sean, the first one is my favorite. It shows the bird in all its fine details and his usual posture. He even looks grumpy. .
    IMO, #2&3 should show the legs and feet as well. A nice trio.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Annapolis, MD USA
    Posts
    87
    Real Name
    Sean Fitzpatrick

    Re: Reddish Egret - South Andros

    Thanks for the feedback! Agree with the feet issue; I can't even blame a bad crop, composition was off in camera!

    Thanks,

    Sean

  4. #4
    jprzybyla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    3,073
    Real Name
    Joe

    Re: Reddish Egret - South Andros

    Hi Sean, nice bird but the color seems to be off. I have shot several Reddish Egrets and the grey is softer. The images appear over processed, it makes me wonder what the image looks like straight out of the camera. Concerning the legs...been there done that. I have done that when making sure I focus on the eyes without paying attention to the rest of the frame. I have discovered that if I move the focus point from the center to a top level focus point it helps to avoid cutting off the feet.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Annapolis, MD USA
    Posts
    87
    Real Name
    Sean Fitzpatrick

    Re: Reddish Egret - South Andros

    Quote Originally Posted by jprzybyla View Post
    Hi Sean, nice bird but the color seems to be off. I have shot several Reddish Egrets and the grey is softer. The images appear over processed, it makes me wonder what the image looks like straight out of the camera. Concerning the legs...been there done that. I have done that when making sure I focus on the eyes without paying attention to the rest of the frame. I have discovered that if I move the focus point from the center to a top level focus point it helps to avoid cutting off the feet.
    Thanks and I see that here on my my work machine (uncalibrated monitor.) FWIW, grays are much lighter on my home machine (calibrated) and on my iPad (super bright.) This stuff drives me nuts! Also, not sure if anyone has noticed, but it seems like the Clarity effect using Local Adjustments in LR really darkens a non-white bird. So much that I often have to bump up Exposure afterwards.

    Thanks again for the feedback--very useful!

    Sean

  6. #6
    jprzybyla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    3,073
    Real Name
    Joe

    Re: Reddish Egret - South Andros

    Quote Originally Posted by FlyFitz View Post
    Thanks and I see that here on my my work machine (uncalibrated monitor.) FWIW, grays are much lighter on my home machine (calibrated) and on my iPad (super bright.) This stuff drives me nuts! Also, not sure if anyone has noticed, but it seems like the Clarity effect using Local Adjustments in LR really darkens a non-white bird. So much that I often have to bump up Exposure afterwards.

    Thanks again for the feedback--very useful!

    Sean
    See how this one looks on your monitors. I shot is last winter on the east coast of Florida. I post processed on my HP Envy laptop also with a bright monitor like your iPad. I calibrate/profile the monitor every two weeks or sooner depending on what I am doing. I always have the worry of wondering if what looks good on my display appears the same on other peoples display. Please let me know what you think.

    Reddish Egret - South Andros

  7. #7
    Moderator Dave Humphries's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Windsor, Berks, UK
    Posts
    16,295
    Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

    Re: Reddish Egret - South Andros

    Quote Originally Posted by FlyFitz View Post
    Thanks for the feedback! Agree with the feet issue; I can't even blame a bad crop, composition was off in camera!

    Thanks,

    Sean
    Hi Sean,

    Count me as another person that spends a long time getting the top left or top right focus point on the eye and still manages amputates the legs!

    Good series, I actually prefer the ruffled/agressive look of #2 and #3

    Cheers,

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ontario (mostly)
    Posts
    6,621
    Real Name
    Bobo

    Re: Reddish Egret - South Andros

    Excellent series.

    I don't mind the cut off feet in 2 and 3. Sometimes for big birds something has to go for really close shots and it is better the feet then then head.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •