Thread: Experimenting in High Key

Real Name
    Gillie Bengough

Experimenting in High Key

I have been meaning to look into achieving 'high key' images, some of which I find very appealing. I understand that it is mainly to do with clever lighting, as well as camera settings to get that blown out artistic effect; I have no lighting so went to work in PS. Now - is this a 'high key' image? I do intend to spend the weekend reading more about it, as htere are a million tutorials to be found, but any quick tips would be appreciated. GillieExperimenting in High Key

Real Name
    John

Re: Experimenting in High Key

Hi Gillie,
    I think you have done a reasonably good job in PP to get where you are.
    As you say, normally to get high-key pictures you would need a White background and various lights; normally 3 to 4 and a soft-box. However, let’s put that to one side as you don’t have any at present.
    As an alternative why not use a cheap white back-drop (Styro-foam sheet, Bed sheet, Large piece of craft paper) and shoot outside using natural light.
    You could use any white boards as reflectors to direct more light onto the shot, to try and emulate the ‘Key light’ and ‘Fill lights’. You would of course need to experiment and there are many other ways to achieve what you are aiming for, but this would be a way to practice without any major financial outlay.
    Keep at it, this type of shot can produce some great pictures.
    Thanks for sharing.

Real Name
    Gillie Bengough

Hi John. Thank you for taking the time to comment. I shall keep practising as I have seen some inspirational photographs, that I would like to emulate. I took this shot out of doors, kneeling, (not easy at my age) in order to get as light a background as possible. Today I am going to make a light box, so watch this spot! Gillie

Real Name
    Robert S.

Hi Gillie,

the stipe of the flower has a hard dark edge that makes it look outlined. That disturbes the look of the flower. Sorry I do not know why it is so clearly visible or how to reduce it. Just a guess, is it over sharpened? Maybe someone else can help you.

bye
    Robert

bye
    Robert

Real Name
    John

Hi Gillie,
    I keep coming back to your picture, so you must of sparked something inside of me.

I've had a play in PP hope you don't mind, this type of Photography is so hard to get right.
    Here's my version of your picture. I can't wait to see your next attempt, I'll keep watching.

Experimenting in High Key
    Last edited by JPS; 25th June 2012 at 10:32 PM.

Real Name
    Gillie Bengough

Hi Sunray, thanks for your comment; I think the flowers maybe a little over processed

Real Name
    Gillie Bengough

Hi John; thanks for taking the time to work on my shot. I think the frame is a good idea and I like all except the half black border - just personal preference, I guess! Gillie