Thread: My Dog - Blue

Real Name
    Brian

My Dog - Blue

My Dog - Blue

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: My Dog - Blue

Hi Brian! Interesting! Is it the way the light is hitting or does Blue really have one blue and one brown eye?

Real Name
    Brian

Hi Frank
    Yes he is half Husky, his mother had 2 Blue Eyes.

Also, I am very new to Photography, so would like some comments, what is Good\Bad about the Photo??

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by bosborn View Post
    Also, I am very new to Photography, so would like some comments, what is Good\Bad about the Photo??
    Blue is sharp and clear with what I feel is good lighting and nice catch-lights in the eyes but the busy background is pulling my eyes off the subject. Red in particular, even when out of focus is a strong attention getter. Another background detractor is high contrast.

The best backgrounds for a single subject like this are muted, low contrast, out-of-focus, with complementary colours.

If you have the post processing skill, for the background you could change the red to a more pastel colour, apply some lens blur, and perhaps decrease the contrast a bit. Alternately, you could reshoot with a simpler background. Hope this helps!

Real Name
    Brian

Yes, thanks.
    I have just got the Photoplus x5 software, so I will give the post processing a go.

Thanks Again

Real Name
    Richard

Lovely dog! His bi-color eyes are very interesting...

Although I totally agree with the above posts; my problem with this image is not so much the busy red in the background but, that Blue's right side (left side of the image) gets lost in the dark fireplace.

You "could" try reworking the image in an editing program. However since Blue is your dog and you have 24/7 acess to him. I would think that reshooting him with a less intrusive background would be a lot easier than changing the BG with an image editing program...

Real Name
    John

Hi Brian,
    what a lovely dog.
    I like how sharp you have managed to get the dog itself, but do agree the background is a bit distracting. As Richard has said you can re-shoot as much as you like if feel you want to act on our comments. The main thing is our comments mean nothing, the main thing is if your happy.
    I have taken the liberty of having a little play in PP to give you another version to see if you feel a different background makes the picture better or worse, I hope you don't mind me doing this and will happily delete it if you are not.
    Thanks for sharing and I look forward to seeing more of your work.
    King regards.

My Dog - Blue
    Last edited by JPS; 23rd June 2012 at 05:36 PM.