Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Macro lens for Nikon D 7000

Macro lens for Nikon D 7000

Hi
    I am looking for a macro lens to use with my Nikon D7000. At the moment I am looking at the Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Macro. I would like to know if anyone has had experience with this lens or if they could recommend a good macro lens.

Thanks

Messner

Real Name
    Ian

Re: Macro lens for Nikon D 7000

Hi Messner,
    There are a number of people using Macro lenses, including many on Nikon, here... might be worth checking out the "Post your insects" thread to see some real-world examples

Tests of 100mm and 105mm macro lenses on Photozone might also be helpful:
    Sigma (though note this review is on Full Format)
    Tokina
    Nikon (review on D200 - awaiting an update on D7000)

Ian

Real Name
    Ian

Maybe check this thread out as well: examples with a Tokina 100mm macro

Ian

Real Name
    Richard

I use a 90mm Tamron f/2.8 AF SP Macro Lens and I am quite happy with it.

http://photomacrography.net/photomac...0/tamron90.htm

There is a newer version which is said to be optimized for digital photography but, my older version works just fine. The new model adds the term "Di" to Tamron's alphabet soup designation.

My Tamron lens holds a specifically warm spot in my heart because I bought it for less than one hundred U.S. dollars on eBay many years ago. IMO, this was a great value.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns-Review.aspx

http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/282-...report--review

Although my lens has a Canon mount, Tamron produces this with a Nikon mount also.

http://www.nikonians.org/html/resour...mron/90_macro/

NOTE: due to the differences in focusing motors between the different Nikon DSLR cameras, I am not sure that the Tamron macro lens would work on the D7000.
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 23rd June 2012 at 11:38 PM.

Thanks for all the advice, really appreciated.

Messner

Real Name
    Peter

My combination is the Nikon D7000 and the Nikkor 105mm VR macro lens. I am pretty content with these two, as they enable me to shoot some of the macro photos handheld. Try to test out the lenses you like on your camera to see what works best.

Real Name
    Gary

I recently bought the Nikkor 105mm VR and I'm really impressed with it. Earler I had the Nikkor 40mm, although I thought it was a really good lens I found the focal length a little short for what I wanted so I guess it depends what you want a macro lens for.

A guy I work with bought the Tamron 90mm 2.8 over the weekend for his Sony so I had a bit of time today to play around with it and this also looks like a good option.

I can't comment on the Sigma as I have never used it but from people I have spoke with who have used it then they seem happy with it.

Real Name
    Luc (Pronounced "Luke")

To enrich on what Shibang is saying, I personally use the Nikkor 60mm VR and I am totally in love with it.

Of course the 105mm offers a focal range better suited if you intend on shooting insects or other subjects that might be scared away easily but so far this lens has met all of my needs and well exceeded them in many areas.

Thanks for your feedback, as you have mentioned the Nikon 60mm VR is a pretty good lens. This lens is also on my maybe list.

cheers