Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The Doll

Real Name
    Kristian

The Doll

These are three of my older photos, that I've re-edited with Lightroom 4. To be frank, I'm wondering if it works at all, or if it's just garbage? Both the concept, the lighting and the editing.

The makeup was done by me, as my makeup artist canceled just minutes before the model arrived.

The Doll

The Doll

The Doll

Real Name
    Paul

Re: The Doll

Hi kristian,

really like the concept behind these and I think that developing this you could create a very interesting series. Technically the shot look pretty good as does the lighting on the model - it's pretty flat, even and I think enhances the doll like appearance of the model. The colouring (background vs model, pink vs blue) is effective ... but. Personally with these colours, especially that of the background the axe in the first picture seems incongrous. This is my opinion and I don't know what your vision was but to me it would seem more effective if she was carrying something less threatening than an axe. The first picture I think might have more effect if the lighting on the model perhaps stayed the same but the background was darker, more ominous if you will. In the third image the lighting, background and concept work pretty well and the doll like pose, especially the doll like hand works pretty well. The second image, same comments as the first, a little incongrous with the axe but the pose is pretty good here as well. I might be tempted to go for a less central composition here and lose some space on the right though. All in all though I really like the concept and I certainly think it's worthy of development.

Real Name
    Kristian

Thank you so much for your feedback Paul!

Yes, the axe is small and misplaced. It was only used as a "placeholder" as we wanted something in her hand but didn't really find anything interesting. (Among all the clutter that normally build up in a studio, believe it or not!)
    I am glad you like the concept, and I am sure the model (or another model) can be talked into a new shoot.

I will try and do like you said with the background, and post the result here when it's done.

The first is possibly a little too 'full frontal' but otherwise good. I find the other two are excellent.

An idea which lends itself to numerous variations I would imagine.

Real Name
    John

Hi kristian,
    I'm not too keen on the 1st picture, for the same reason as Geoff; much to ‘Square on’ for my liking, I’m afraid.

BUT, the second and third pictures are in my opinion fantastic; I love them.
    What a great idea, I would love to do a shoot like this.
    I’ve been following your work over the last few days and like your style.
    Well done and thanks for sharing.

Real Name
    Kristian

Geoff and John, you are right. The first one is really a test shoot for the lights, so it's way to frontal for my taste as well. I added it mostly to show how the light fell on her as she stood sqarely in front of the camera.

And John, thank you for liking my style. I feel I'm finally finding it, after several years of searching.