Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: My own little place in this world.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

My own little place in this world.

This is still a part of the images I captured during my personal photowalk somewhere in Malate, Metro Manila. I was trying to walk faster because I know that any moment soon, the sun would be setting and I will miss the shot I visualized concerning Jose Rizal's monument in Luneta. With too many people in the streets of Malate, I don't think I can make it in time at the monument. I was a little bit disappointed to myself for not coming earlier and anticipating the traffic. However, I believe there are always opportunities available even when you least expect it.

That's what happened to me in Malate. I saw her (or so I thought) sitting like this in front of an antique shop. What made her so interesting while I was trying to frame the shot is that she did notice my camera and simply smiled back at me. Without saying a word, I signaled using my hand gesturing a number one telling her if I can take one shot. She nodded and so I aimed my camera and captured this.

I was satisfied with the shot I got. When I saw her still smiling back at me, I told her if I can take one more shot and she obliged. I went closer for a headshot. I wanted to capture that simple smile up close. When I got the shot, I was so surprised when she talked back at me and said "Can I see?" It was not the question that surprised me. The person whom I thought was a woman is a he! I heard a low voice, but cheerful. I gladly showed him the two shots I got and personally spoke to him and said "Thank you very much."

A simple person, and yet even from that short encounter, I never felt any vibration of pity or regret regarding his social status in life. What I felt is actually more of acceptance, of surrender, that somehow, he was able to accept life like that. This personal photowalk seemed more like a personal education for me about life rather than a simple desire to capture images using my camera. I hope that I will have another time like this soon, on another place maybe?

Thank you very much for viewing.

Nikon D70, Nikon 50mm f/1.8D lens, ISO 400, f/2.8 at 1/60 second.
    Last edited by jiro; 21st June 2012 at 09:42 PM.

Real Name
    Andrew

Re: My own little place in this world.

Hey Willie, it's nice to see your work again. I've been watching your shots from your trip to Manila, but I haven't posted yet. When I saw this one, I had to post. This is my favourite one of all. You have captured so much in this simple image, that I would be typing for hours if I were to tell you what I truly like about it. So, for me, it will be easier to tell you what I don't like about it: NOTHING. It's absolutely perfect, and if it were mine, it would be printed, and hanging on a wall in my office. I'm sure it could be cropped, or adjusted, but none of that would be necessary, it's a fantastic image. Thank you very much for showing it to us.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew76 View Post
    Hey Willie, it's nice to see your work again. I've been watching your shots from your trip to Manila, but I haven't posted yet. When I saw this one, I had to post. This is my favourite one of all. You have captured so much in this simple image, that I would be typing for hours if I were to tell you what I truly like about it. So, for me, it will be easier to tell you what I don't like about it: NOTHING. It's absolutely perfect, and if it were mine, it would be printed, and hanging on a wall in my office. I'm sure it could be cropped, or adjusted, but none of that would be necessary, it's a fantastic image. Thank you very much for showing it to us.
    Thank you very much, Andrew. Your words of encouragement is deeply appreciated. Thank you.

Hi Willie

I so enjoyed your philosophical musings. We would be poor photographers indeed if we failed to reach some understanding or appreciation of our subjects - possibly a flawed understanding but - the desire to seek is there. Great photos; I see the humility of the subject, but as you say, no trace of self-pity or negativity.

Thank you.
    Nihia