Thread: My first thread

Real Name
    ruby

My first thread

what little I know about photography comes from my husband's enthusiastic ramblings about photography and its techniques (apparently in hope that if you sling enough mud something might stick), and I confess it's starting to rub off a little.

So with his advice, encouragement and camera, I set up this little shot of some flowers. I know it's dark in the shadows, but I kind of like photos this way. Anything else I might learn from this? I tried about 50 different ways of lighting it, and seemed most comfortable with this result. Any advice for this newb? Please enlarge to see better

My first thread

Real Name
    Andrew

Re: My first thread

First off, if you like the results then the lighting is fine. You have good coverage and a minimal of shadows in the subject. For my tastes I would change is slightly. There is a solid black separation of the flowers from the vase that gives it a bit of a disjointed look. Totally blacking out the vase would be an option but look out of place for what we normally expect to see because flowers don't float. To put a degree of continuity into the photo I may use reflectors to put a minimal amount of light on the underside of the flowers to bring that sense of wholeness back to the photo. You may also consider another vase made from a material that will not produce such strong highlights. Light attracts the eye and it's up to the photographer to direct the viewer. You did very well.

PS. If you plan on doing more flowers get yourself a selection of inexpensive vases of varying shapes and colours. Paint a few yourself if you can't find what you like.
    Last edited by Andrew1; 21st June 2012 at 02:23 PM.

Real Name
    ruby

Thank you, Andrew. That was extremely helpful. Thanks for taking the time

Looks good to me, subject to Andrew's comments.

Real Name
    Sharon

Hi Ruby,

I have been known to photograph the odd flower and would sugest you try some shots with single blooms and oncentrate on shape, texture and form and see where you go from there.

Real Name
    ruby

Thank you, Geoff and Sharon