Thread: Starving Pup

Real Name
    Richard

Starving Pup

We always shoot a "before" picture when a rescue dog arrives at our home so that we have a benchmark to show how they have improved with TLC. Felicia is a Maltese who is less than a year old. She was found as a starving stray on the streets of San Diego, California. She is skin and bones and was covered with foxtails. She had so many infections from foxtails that the animal shelter had to sedate her before grooming. They needed to shave her down to her skin and then called our American Maltese Rescue group to help Felicia recover to normal.

Felicia is now on a regimen of antibiotics and we are feeding her three large high calorie and high protein meals a day to get some weight back on her poor skinny frame. I will access this thread in a month or two and will post the "after" TLC picture.

Starving Pup

Starving Pup

Real Name
    Blake

Re: Starving Pup

Poor girl

Can't wait to see the after pictures!

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

I always admire and respect all the hard work that you and your group is doing for these creatures, Richard. My personal deep respect for you, Sir.

Real Name
    Kris Harmon

Poor pup. Maltese are such great dogs and it is sad to see on in this shape. Only wish her previous owners who neglected her and allowed her to go stray could be gathered up and prosecuted for neglect.

KHarmon

Deep in the heart of Texas and Fort Wayne Indiana
    Real Name
    Kristianna-Marie - I listen to Kris too.....

Quote Originally Posted by KHarmon View Post
    Poor pup. Maltese are such great dogs and it is sad to see on in this shape. Only wish her previous owners who neglected her and allowed her to go stray could be gathered up and prosecuted for neglect.

KHarmon
    You're so right! If people can't care for their pets, they shouldn't be allowed to have them!
    Richard, looking forward to see what your TLC accomplishes in a few weeks (or months?)

Real Name
    Richard

Felicia is wolfing down her three meals daily while the sores from the foxtails are healing. She is a lively pup and very, very loving. I am sure that, when she gains a decent amount of weight and when her sores eventually completely heal, she will make a wonderful pet for some person or family.

She has learned her name (she came to us without a name and my wife picked "Felicia") and she comes when we call her. This is a wonderful start because it is easier to heal physical trauma than mental or emotional problems. We have one female whom it took us over 18 months to get close to. She had been kept for seven and a half years in a cage with no human contact by a puppy mill breeder and was totally frightened of humans. This gal will remain with us "furever" because we will not subjugate her to any more emotional trauma.

Real Name
    Richard

Wonderful Picture...

This is one of my favorite photos. Not because it has any great merits photographically but, because of the subject matter.

This is Felicia, the "Starving Pup" that started this string. She has been adopted into a loving "furever" home and her new mom brought her by to see us at one of our rescue events.

We got four dogs adopted today but, the best part of the day was seeing how this darling pup, who was once close to death, has bloomed in her loving home...

Starving Pup

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Wonderful Picture...

It is absolutely amazing to compare the before-and-after photos. I hope the new owners have copies of all of them. Thanks for updating your thread!

Real Name
    Zach

This is literally one of the greatest things I've seen and really rejuvenates my faith in humanity. Thank you for all of your care you put forth to these animals.

Cheers:
    Zach

Real Name
    Paul

What a great story and recovery! The difference is huge and you should be proud. =} Nice work all around, Richard.

Real Name
    Grahame

Fantastic result, what more can be said.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

It's heartening to see evidence of what commitment and dedication to caring (whether it's for animals or humans) can achieve ... and to see the evidence that in this society in which we live today, there are people who still make enough time to care.

Real Name
    Suzan J

I love this story! It is wonderful that you take the time and energy to help these little guys. The before and after photos are amazing.

Real Name
    Debbie

BRAVO! Love your pictures and your stories.

I am so thankful for the rescues that save all these precious fur babies. Great job... I have 2 shih-tzu and 3 cats... I am so happy for her!

Real Name
    Bruce

Great job Richard. Bruce