Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Opinions sought on Canon EF 70-300MM F/4-5.6 IS USM Lens

Opinions sought on Canon EF 70-300MM F/4-5.6 IS USM Lens

I am looking in to a refurbished EF 70-300MM F/4-5.6 IS USM Lens. I now it is not "L" glass but it is what I can afford right not. I have read the reviews and it seems like a pretty good lens. Does anyone own one and what is it like? Image quality seems to be way up there from the reviews?

re: Opinions sought on Canon EF 70-300MM F/4-5.6 IS USM Lens

Yes Carl, I still have one. Eventually purchased a 70-200 L as a replacement (before the 70-300 L was released) but consider my old 70-300 is too good to throw away.

Sometimes I do miss the area between 200 and 300.

As you said, not quite L lens quality but better than many alternatives. If it is in good condition, which it should be after being refurbished, I think you won't be disappointed with it.

I never found any major drawbacks with mine; but when I could afford it, and my old 70-300 was starting to get a bit 'wobbly' but still working fine, I went for that little bit extra.

Real Name
    Bob

Hi Carl.

I have this lens, however, I have not used it that much. I purchased it about a year ago to get some long distance photos in Hawaii (surfer, whales, etc). I did take some photos with it and they were very good to excellent for my needs. I have not found myself taking shots where I need the lens very often. I guess I should take some bird or wildlife photos and give it a workout. Hopefully other with more experience will comment.

Dr Bob

Thanks GEOFF, and BOB

You've both you been a big help and thank you so much for responding to my post. It means more than you'll ever know.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Carl in Louisiana View Post
    Thanks GEOFF, and BOB

You've both you been a big help and thank you so much for responding to my post. It means more than you'll ever know.
    Hi carl, i have a 70-300, and it is a nice lens. Not quite L quality, but very close. At f/5.6 to f/11, the results are very good.

Real Name
    Richard

I am a firm believer in Canon refurbished equipment. I have had very good luck with this way of purchasing Canon gear. Each piece of refurbished gear is checked out by a human technician. Gear from the assembly line doesn't receive this individual treatment.

The IS equipped 70-300mm lens will free you from the constraints of requiring absolute bright light for shooting. This will broaden the usefulness of your lens. I would not be without an IS equipped telephoto zoom and I was seriously considering the 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS lens when the 70-200mm f/4L IS was introduced. I have been very happy with the f/4L IS lens but, I am sure that I would have been happy with the 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS lens...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 19th June 2012 at 03:27 AM.

Real Name
    Mike

I bought this lens to shoot my daughter playing softball and I have gotten great results.

Thank You to everyone. It helps especially when you know it is a tried product with good reviews by folks you know.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Opinions sought on Canon EF 70-300MM F/4-5.6 IS USM Lens

I have, rather belatedly perhaps, changed the thread title to be more descriptive.

Previously known as "Need Some Serious Help!"

Hope that's OK

Real Name
    Robert S.

I owned one, too. I sold it to get my 70-200mm /f4. The lense did a god job. The fron lense element rotates during focusing. So using a polarizer can be a little bit tricky. Sometimes I did have some lense flaring due to straylight. I recommend a lense hood for this beauty. And don't mix the lense up with the 70-300MM F/4-5.6 IS USM DO. It's pricing is nearly twice as high and every review I read about it states that image quality is much worser compared to the 70-300MM F/4-5.6 IS USM lense.

cu
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    I have, rather belatedly perhaps, changed the thread title to be more descriptive.

Previously known as "Need Some Serious Help!"

Hope that's OK
    Hey Dave
    I trust you know what works best here, It is perfectly okay by me. Thank you for the help.

Real Name
    Bud Ralston

Carl:
    The 70-300L was the first "L" lens I bought. I bought it because it was recently released, has "L" quality, has IS, and a good range; especially on a 7D. I kept it and used it a lot for almost a year and took some pretty decent pictures with it. I sold it a month ago because: it doesn't have enough reach for wildlife photos, it doesn't come with a tripod collar ($185 extra), too heavy without the collar. Admittedly, I've spent considerably more $$$ on lenses recently but the improvement in IQ is remarkable. If you want a zoom and can afford a little more, buy the 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS USM. If you need more reach than 200, it takes both a 1.4 and 2.0 tele-converter with no image degradation.

In my research, one of the bloggers said you can buy equipment incrementally, starting with the least expensive camera, lens, tripod, ball head, etc. and working your way up the quality chain as your skills improve. You inevitably take a loss when selling this gear as you buy better equipment. Or, you can buy the very best you can afford at the outset and be happy with it for years to come. I did it the hard way but I'm very happy now.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by kaneohebud View Post
    Carl:
    If you want a zoom and can afford a little more, buy the 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS USM. If you need more reach than 200, it takes both a 1.4 and 2.0 tele-converter with no image degradation.

Good luck!
    Thank You Bud,
    If only I had the bucks that one lens would be the only other lens I feel I would need. It would fit right in with the 17-55mm lens and make my world complete.
    Maybe one day it will happen at the right time and right place.

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by kaneohebud View Post
    Carl:
    In my research, one of the bloggers said you can buy equipment incrementally, starting with the least expensive camera, lens, tripod, ball head, etc. and working your way up the quality chain as your skills improve. You inevitably take a loss when selling this gear as you buy better equipment. Or, you can buy the very best you can afford at the outset and be happy with it for years to come. I did it the hard way but I'm very happy now.
    Good luck!
    Whenever I go cheap on gear, I tend to regret it. When I wanted a second body to use along with my 10D (which was my first DSLR) I went the cheap route and purchased a 350D (Rebel XT) which I hated.

I have a collection of camera bags that reflect that way of purchasing.

However, when I purchased the 70-200mm f/4L IS and 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lenses, they were expensive but, were just what I wanted. I have been using them for years and have not been tempted to get another lens...

Hi Carl
    I have the 70-300 f4-5,6 IS USM, and I think it is a good lens. images are quite sharp expeially around f5.6, but also at 70mm f/4 it works very well. looking at ratio optical-quality/price it is a superb lens. The built quality is fairly, but if you don't have to shot for hours under a storm it couldn't be an issue.
    I recently bought the L version. the main differences are IS and built quality. also sharpness and bokeh quality is improved.
    is it worth to spend 3x money for the L version? I don't know, it depends how much important you consider those improvements..

PS
    if ever you have a trip in italy, I'm selling the not-L one...