Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Changing a Lightbulb

Real Name
    Terry

Changing a Lightbulb

At the risk of offending every female singer on the Planet…

Q. How many female vocalists does it take to change a lightbulb?
    A. One. She holds the light bulb and the whole world revolves around her!

This young lady told me the joke so I hope I am at least forgiven for repeating it.

She is a very, very talented singer and she can really belt it out. I shot their band at a small neighb bar a couple of nights ago.

It was some of the worst nightmare horror show lighting I have ever had the pleasure of shooting in! Lots of crazy colored overhead low lighting that was someone’s idea of stage lighting. But that was mitigated by the ultra small stage and really crappy posters they had hanging on the wall for background, which was about two feet behind them! At least the bar owner was drunk and in a foul mood which was tons of fun! And fortunately, I got to stay up way too late ‘til closing!

I shot them with some lighting I provided and tried to shutter out the BG and ambient as much as possible for some of the shots. And some not so much. There was no way I could have shot them in existing light with any success. It would have required too much ISO with still not enough shutter speed to get them stopped. Even wide open.

Then, as the night went on and the liquor flowed like wine, the patrons started coming up to me wanting their photographs taken! I should have set up a booth! On the upside, the more drinks that got served, the better my shots looked to them!

I guess some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue!

The band was awesome and very gracious to me while shooting. Though I tried to get them to Rock ‘n Roll it up while I was shooting, I think they were a little tired from a hard week. Note to self? Don’t shoot the Band on opening night.

This is Miss Ashley and this is one she especially liked for some reason.

About the only thing I have gone around on while I was retouching this one is losing some of the stray hairs on her camera left side.

But I figure its good enough for Rock ‘n Roll!

Changing a Lightbulb

Re: Changing a Lightbulb

Wow the lighting was good to me but I an not a portrait photog. Considering alll you had to deal with it came out awesome. She is a beautiful young lady. Next time try touch up her eyes.

Real Name
    Joe

LMAO Terry! When I saw the title the first thing I thought of was the singer joke. Being a musician, I have heard that one alot. Nice photo!

Real Name
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by jjbacoomba View Post
    LMAO Terry! When I saw the title the first thing I thought of was the singer joke. Being a musician, I have heard that one alot. Nice photo!
    Thank you, Joe!

What made it especially funny was that it was coming from a female vocalist!

Quote Originally Posted by Carl in Louisiana View Post
    Wow the lighting was good to me but I an not a portrait photog. Considering alll you had to deal with it came out awesome. She is a beautiful young lady. Next time try touch up her eyes.
    Thank you Carl. What suggestions would you have for the eyes?