Thread: St Helen's Skeffling

Real Name
    Carolyn

St Helen's Skeffling

St Helen's Skeffling

Skeffling 'new' church on the Humber Estuary built c 1460 - a most tranquil and peaceful spot on a June afternoon.
    I think I learned a lot of 'how to' when post processing this, but any more C&C and suggestion would be welcome, because there is something about this image I want to keep.
    I used Serif Photoplus 3 for image adjustment.

Nikon D70S
    focal length 28mm
    f10
    1/320

Taken 15-6-2012 @14.32 hrs. intermitent sunshine and thunder storms.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Re: St Helen's Skeffling

Carolyn: Love the image, your new churches are a littler older than ours here in Canada. I love the leaves from the tree that you are under some would say that they should not be there, however I like the way that they help frame the image, great sky too. That enterence is probably that red, in my mine I would like to see it toned down some. I could just sit down in the shade for a few hours and just enjoy the view.

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    Carolyn

thnaks Alan- yes the porch has ben built from local red brick which blazes in the sun, but for the purpose of not particularly wantng it to be a focus of this image, perhaps toning it down would be better.
    And thanks also, I liked the leaves as they give the perspective and impression of the viewer resting under a tree, as well as a bit of framing- or so I hoped.

St Helen's Skeffling

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

A very attractive scene. You did an especially good job of bringing out the texture in the walls.

My guess is that you lightened the tower and that the sky around it also got accidentally lightened. I think the same thing happened to the clouds around the treetops, but that could actually be how the sky looked. Regardless, I'm not sure I would have noticed the issue at the treetops if it hadn't been so much more obvious at the top of the tower.

Now that you have toned down the red (I like your second version better) consider also toning down the blue thing. I would be tempted to darken it so much that it's barely noticeable.

I like the perspective provided by the foreground leaves but I wish they were a bit out of focus. If the leaves were so prominent as to be part of the subject, I would like them sharp as they are, but not when they're not the subject.

Real Name
    Carolyn

Thanks Mike- I wondered about whether to leave the water butt or to clone t out or disguise it. TBH I don't know what happened with the lighter traces- I actually darkened the clouds a tad in curves, but maybe the fall out in both instances was a result of the freehand selection creating a shaky border around the line. I will have a look at the original and see how it was and try to cut it in a bit more accurately. .
    Thanks for the comment and advice re the leaves- I take a number of shots framed by leaves which are out of focus and I am never sure if they are acceptable like that-I think that this is possibly the first time I have managed to get foliage etc closest to the lens in focus at all! Of course, if the start off in focus, they can be softened in PP, but it doesn't work the other way round.
    Last edited by Bunty Plumchip; 16th June 2012 at 10:23 PM.