Thread: SD cards vs. SDHC cards

Real Name
    Anne

SD cards vs. SDHC cards

Hi all, can anyone out there tell me the difference between these two as im currently using SD cards but was wondering could i use the SDHC cards in my nikon d60? Thanks in advance.

Real Name
    John

Re: SD cards vs. SDHC cards

Hi, I believe the Nikon d60 does support these formats.
    SD, SDHC and SDXC are all variants of the SD (Secure Digital) format, that have been released in that order by the SD Association.

As requirements for higher capacities came in, SD cards have grown in capacity too (SDHC is SD High Capacity, while SDXC is SD Xtended Capacity). SDHC cards typically come in capacities between 4GB to 32GB. SDXC cards come in sizes of 32GB of higher, with a theoretical maximum of 2TB.

Hope this helps.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

SD is a type of card; and the early implemenations (SDSC) are often referred to as just SD. These are usually 1 or 2 GB cards are "standard capacity"; but are technicallly SDSC. SDHC (i.e. SD High Capacity) go from 4 - 32GB. I believe the D60 does take SDHC, but check your manual regarding brands. I know my D90 works with some brands, especially at the higher end of SDHC, but does not work with all brands.

Real Name
    J stands for John

In addition to SD,SDHC,and SDXC classifications there is also the 'class' to consider in addition to capacity.
    It could be worth your while checking Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sd_cards and NikonUSA [?] for what your camera can work with.

Particularly the cautions about newer cards in older equipment. I got caught by this awhile back when I returned from an oversea trip and my back-up copies would not play in the card reader ... it was old and only read SD cards and I had bought SDHC cards while overseas and used my newer Emachine notebook to make back-ups . GRRRRGH

Real Name
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jcuknz View Post
    In addition to SD,SDHC,and SDXC classifications there is also the 'class' to consider in addition to capacity.
    It could be worth your while checking Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sd_cards and NikonUSA [?] for what your camera can work with.
    I recently shot video with my Canon T3 for the first time, using just a standard 8GB SD card and the camera automatically stopped recording. I was unaware (until reading the manual) that shooting video with this camera requires a minimum "class 6" (or higher) SD card.

Real Name
    Robin

First thing a salesman in a store will tell you when you buy a camera is to buy a good card if you want the cameras full performance yet it's the number one thing that customers refuse to believe.

Real Name
    J stands for John

Quote Originally Posted by black pearl View Post
    First thing a salesman in a store will tell you when you buy a camera is to buy a good card if you want the cameras full performance yet it's the number one thing that customers refuse to believe.
    LOL ...I was shooting video with a basic 2Gb class 2 quite happilly in blissful ignorance .... then I wanted to shoot extended burst [ background shots for an animation sequence, I took 80 when I got it worked out ] and the salesman suggested class ten which I duely purchased at great expense. Subsequently I discovered that the camera needed to have its resolution reduced to do the job and class six would have been AOK, probably my older class two .... I suggest one should research the subject prior to entering the shop or buying on-line.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by black pearl View Post
    On the other hand, what the salesman proposed to me was not in line with what the user manual listed as ones approved cards for my model of camera, even though it was the same speed class. Would it have worked? Perhaps or perhaps not; brand new camera and I had one of the very first units of the model that they had sold. I had done my homework and downloaded and read the manual ahead of time.

Buyer beware...

Real Name
    John

One thing to check regarding SDHC cards are their compatibility with card readers.

Real Name
    J stands for John

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    One thing to check regarding SDHC cards are their compatibility with card readers.
    I would have thought the reverse is true ... my card reader built into my old computer I had had for a few years wouldn't read the SDHC card but my new computer, notebook and plug-in USB card reader bought around the same time all work fine. mmm Sorry if I'm splitting hairs.

Real Name
    Robin

That's exactly what John is saying - older card readers won't read SDHC cards.