Cheryl Davidson

Comments and Critique please

Am I over processing here?

Cheryl

Comments and Critique please

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Comments and Critique please

I don't think so. What made you think that you maybe were?

I do notice that the sky maybe shows signs of a it of over-work. The foliage on tree just to the right of the open bit of sky (as we look at it) also seems a bit dark compared to the foliage next to it. Not sure what you did there.

But you've got a big lump of text slap bang on the image. I think there are quite a few of us on here who consider that anything like that really does not help the image. If we want to put a signature or title on, then make a border and put it on that, but not on the image itself. However, there are others who think that doesn't really matter.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

The shot looks OK to me. Exposure is good. My guess is that you probably adjusted the shadow areas to bring out some details. The lighting (or the time of day you took the shot) does not look flattering. You could try shooting at sunset or sunrise for a more dramatic oblique lighting. A little tight on the crop (the tip of the roof is missing). For me, it looks like the door side seems to be more interesting. You can play with your vantage point for a more interesting perspective. If this is one of your first shot in photography then you are much better than me for sure.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Very attractive image at a glance. Upon further examination, I see the stuff Donald describes and a tin roof that appears lifeless, perhaps because you toned it down. It doesn't seem to appear as it would in the bright overhead sun that the shadows otherwise indicate.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Cheryl, it hints of a tonemapped look. Compare the dark sky with the light sky at the tree line against the original. You'll likely find that the sky is more consistent in the original. You may also notice, particularly on the right that the edge of the treeat the sky is much darker than rest of the tree.

It takes time to develop just the right amount of change for each area in the image. I found it very frustrating when I started doing this as I didn't feel I was doing anything to the image until it got to the point where I would ask myself "Am I over processing here?"

You will begin to spend more time comparing the original to the changed copy as you work to avoid this problem and as a result you'll get much better. You'll learn how far to go for each area in the image and over time you'll discover that the image will softly 'listen' to your changes and then speak volumes to the image's viewers.

Hope this helps!

Real Name
    Cheryl Davidson

Thanks everyone for your comments. I'm along way out of my comfort zone with buildings and landscapes. Ok with birds in flight. I'll take your comments on board.

Cheryl