Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Pros and Cons of a Nikon D300 vs D7000

Real Name
    Chuck

Pros and Cons of a Nikon D300 vs D7000

I am in the market for another camera body. I would appreciate opinions on the relative strengths and weaknesses of the Nikon D300 vs D7000. I have a Nikon 80 - 400 mm with VR and a Nikon 16 - 85 mm with VR. Will these lenses work on both cameras. I also know that the D300 will allow me to use its light meter through my spotting scope. Can I do the same with the D7000?

Thanks in advance for any enlightenment that you may offer.

Cheers, Chuck

Real Name
    Robin

Re: Pros and Cons of a Nikon D300 vs D7000

Let's do the D300s first as its the oldest and now discontinued.

It's better built. It's faster. It has batter AF. The buffer is larger. I personally feel the control layout is better and you can set the middle button to zoom into 100% on playback.

Now for the D7000.

The IQ is better at higher ISO's. It's lighter to carry. It shoots video in full HD with better control. It can AF faster in Live View. it's cheaper. Twin SD slots are better in todays market than CF/SD.

Essentially it's a more modern camera and if I'm honest the better buy. I don't like the feel as I'm used to the bigger Pro bodies but that said I get fed up of the weight if I'm out all day so if you're in the market now I'd go D7000. It will work with none AF lenses so should be fine on your scope.
    If you are not in a hurry then the D400/600 or whatever it's going to be called is immanent though it will be significantly more expensive.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I had a very good look at the D300 as it was one of the "finalists" when I first started looking at moving to a DSLR. I still take a few shots with one occassionally as two friends own one.

I personally would look at the D7000; as it is a much newer / better camera, from an image quality (IQ) standpoint.

If you want D300 level performance at a much lower price, look at the also discontinued D90, as the two have the same IQ and it does have the the internal focusing motor that you need for autofocus on your 80-400mm lens. The D300 has a slightly better control layout, in a more robust, pro body, but it's a huge box for a crop-frame camera.

My final thought is that D300 uses the older front-lit technology while the D7000 is an early example of a back-lit technology, which is why you see the much finer sensor pitch and higher ISO performance than in the D300.

Real Name
    Chuck

Robin and Manfred, thank you taking time to help me. It is good to get advice from others who have used the equipment. Unfortunately my budget is not unlimited, so the D7000 sounds as if it may fit the ticket.

Thanks again, Chuck

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Looking at it another way Chuck, I've seen your images and you are one of those photographers that could get great images with almost any camera!

If I could have afforded it, I'd have bought the D7000 when I got my D3100 so I don't think you'll be dissapointed!

Real Name
    Joe

For what it is worth when I purchased my D7000 I bought a refurbished body. It sold for under $1000, I have not been disappointed. It looks new, works like new and takes wonderful images. There were plenty of refurbished bodies because many were returned for a back focusing rumor. Another feature of the D7000 that only pro bodies have is the ability to fine tune autofocus for particular lenses. I love my D7000.

Real Name
    Chuck

Joe and Frank, thank you for your comments. I think I will place my order in a few minutes.

Frank, I appreciate your vote of confidence. Coming from someone who does such outstanding work means a great deal to me.

Sincerely, chuck