Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Morning's Sunbeams

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Morning's Sunbeams

I found it very difficult to get the sunrise reflection off the water to be correct. The darker images of the sky showed the sunbeams best but the sea was almost black. On the other hand, in the lighter exposures I had for this scene, the reflection was almost yellow so I couldn't get it to match well.

Morning's Sunbeams

I guess I haven't figured out how to work the Color Balance sliders to change the color tone to match an existing color. Any suggestions on how to change the color of an object, like the reflections in the sea, to match the sky?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Morning's Sunbeams

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Any suggestions on how to change the color of an object, like the reflections in the sea, to match the sky?
    No, but that's as good an image of early morning sunbeams streaming through clouds, as I've seen.

Real Name
    Philip

Very nice sunrise Frank.
    Check You Tube for colour balance tutorials.
    Cheers
    Phil

Real Name
    Tommy

What PP software do you use?

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Thank you Donald. I can always count on you for encouragement!

Good idea Phil - I'll take a look at You Tube.

Hi Tommy, I'm using Photomatix Pro 4.1, Lightroom 3.6, Photoshop CS5, and the Topaz Labs Bundle.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Any suggestions on how to change the color of an object, like the reflections in the sea, to match the sky?
    Most programs probably have a "color picker" whose icon might be an eye dropper. You select the object to be changed and you then use the color picker to select the color that you want it to be. You can pick that color from the image or from a range of colors provided within the software. When I do that, I almost always have to adjust the opacity to get the tone to be just right.

EDIT: Darn, Frank! I got so preoccupied with answering your question that I forgot to mention how much I like your image exactly as it is. The dark water balances the dark clouds very nicely.

Frank this is another outstanding image! Must view in lytebox.

I found it very difficult to get the sunrise reflection off the water to be correct. The darker images of the sky showed the sunbeams best but the sea was almost black. On the other hand, in the lighter exposures I had for this scene, the reflection was almost yellow so I couldn't get it to match well.

I guess I haven't figured out how to work the Color Balance sliders to change the color tone to match an existing color. Any suggestions on how to change the color of an object, like the reflections in the sea, to match the sky?
    There are two techniques I would use for this, first is to select the sky paste to new layer flip it vert. and place it over the sea, reduce opacity to taste. Second method is the the one similiar to Mike's, using color replace, which I did Here to match the 356R to the back drop. Only problem I could see is that there is a lack of highlights in the water.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Most programs probably have a "color picker" whose icon might be an eye dropper. You select the object to be changed and you then use the color picker to select the color that you want it to be. You can pick that color from the image or from a range of colors provided within the software. When I do that, I almost always have to adjust the opacity to get the tone to be just right.

EDIT: Darn, Frank! I got so preoccupied with answering your question that I forgot to mention how much I like your image exactly as it is. The dark water balances the dark clouds very nicely.
    Thanks Mike! I'll kep that technique in mind but for this image it doesn't seem to produce the effect that I'm looking for in the sea.

Real Name
    Pierre

Frank, you mention that you took multiple exposures. Why not go to CS5 and composite the images?

I also like the image, it makes a powerful statement.
    ...But I would not mind seeing the image idea you were trying to capture.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Ryogenetic View Post
    There are two techniques I would use for this, first is to select the sky paste to new layer flip it vert. and place it over the sea, reduce opacity to taste. Second method is the the one similiar to Mike's, using color replace, which I did Here to match the 356R to the back drop. Only problem I could see is that there is a lack of highlights in the water.
    Hi Ryo, I gave the dupe and flip technique a try and it does seem to mimic the cloud and sky pattern fairly well an picks up the sky color in the reflection in the sea. I used about a 5% blend with the inverted image, trying to keep the effect very subtle but noticeable. I'm not sure if I got it close enough to look realistic. What do you folks think?

Morning's Sunbeams

I had to sit back and switch between the images, I like the color in the water and I think you are heading in the right direction. The technique does come off a bit muddled. I snagged your image to try it out, and ended with the same results. Two additional items I did to get the light to sit better, first I added a mask and painted out the dark areas (clouds to let the water show) I also grabbed the focused center line of light (wake of the ship?)in the water and over sharpened to give it a bit more clarity. Lastly I selected just the water and worked the curves in each Red, Blue, Green attempting to get the tones to match the sky. Just a few thoughts.

Ryo

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

If I understand correctly what you're trying to accomplish, I agree with Ryo that you're headed in the right direction. However, as the two images now stand, I prefer the first one. That comes as no surprise, as I liked the first one a lot from the very beginning. Looking forward to seeing the final version of the second one.

So I woke this fine Fathers day (happy to all that are) With a concept of how to resolve this color matching. The Sky flip is just one part of the puzzle Frank. The next step is to select just the water. Hopefully I can explain this, first make a duplicate copy of the image, select just the water. Open a levels adjustment like you were going to set the white balance, instead adjust the R,G,B colors individually, you are looking to kill the green and blue in the water, and make them orange/red. (at this point mine was Burning red water but thats ok) next deselect and set the duplicate layer to color dodge. With this and the inverted sky I was able to come up with a pretty convincing color scheme in the water.

Hope that helps
    Ryo

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Ryogenetic View Post
    So I woke this fine Fathers day (happy to all that are) With a concept of how to resolve this color matching. The Sky flip is just one part of the puzzle Frank. The next step is to select just the water. Hopefully I can explain this, first make a duplicate copy of the image, select just the water. Open a levels adjustment like you were going to set the white balance, instead adjust the R,G,B colors individually, you are looking to kill the green and blue in the water, and make them orange/red. (at this point mine was Burning red water but thats ok) next deselect and set the duplicate layer to color dodge. With this and the inverted sky I was able to come up with a pretty convincing color scheme in the water.

Hope that helps
    Ryo
    Thanks Ryo and happy Father's Day to you as well. Oops! I hope you are a father and that I haven't done the equivalent of mailing out an anonymous Father's Day card to a confirmed bachelor!

It’ll take me a bit to see if I can follow and duplicate your results but I really appreciate the opportunity to learn a new post processing technique!

Real Name
    Bobo

Excellent shot Frank.
    Thread has a bonus learning section - very good.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Excellent shot Frank.
    Thread has a bonus learning section - very good.
    Thanks for the encouragement, Bobo. I still need to get back to this one and try some of Ryo's suggestions but so far I haven't got it quite right.