Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Into the Mists

  1. #1
    FrankMi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Fort Mill, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    6,294
    Real Name
    Frank Miller

    Into the Mists

    This scene reminds me of the Black Pearl fading into the mists in the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie.

    Here the ship is leaving the early evening sunshine and into the fog and the night beyond.

    Into the Mists

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Guatemala
    Posts
    16
    Real Name
    Mynor

    Re: Into the Mists

    Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    This scene reminds me of the Black Pearl ...

    Into the Mists
    True!

    I love the comparison of the BP sailing away and this ship.


    Great pic

  3. #3
    Moderator Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Glenfarg, Scotland
    Posts
    20,025
    Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

    Re: Into the Mists

    Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    This scene reminds me of the Black Pearl fading into the mists ...
    When I read this, my first thought was , 'Good grief. What's happened to Robin.'

    Good one, Frank. My second, minor, thought was - whether it needed just quite so much space behind it (at the right hand side of the frame)?

  4. #4
    FrankMi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Fort Mill, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    6,294
    Real Name
    Frank Miller

    Re: Into the Mists

    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    When I read this, my first thought was , 'Good grief. What's happened to Robin.'

    Good one, Frank. My second, minor, thought was - whether it needed just quite so much space behind it (at the right hand side of the frame)?
    Let's give it a try Donald. I thought it could use some subtle darkening as well.

    Into the Mists

  5. #5

    Re: Into the Mists

    Frank, the image looked a little flat to me, and your crop seemed a bit much on the right side.

    Into the Mists

    I brought back in the light source, lightened up the highlights on the ship, darkened the ocean, and the mist, and to give it some depth I burned/dodged the water and wave crests. Finally added in a Black gradient over the water to lessen the vignetting.

    Ryo

  6. #6
    FrankMi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Fort Mill, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    6,294
    Real Name
    Frank Miller

    Re: Into the Mists

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryogenetic View Post
    Frank, the image looked a little flat to me, and your crop seemed a bit much on the right side.

    Into the Mists

    I brought back in the light source, lightened up the highlights on the ship, darkened the ocean, and the mist, and to give it some depth I burned/dodged the water and wave crests. Finally added in a Black gradient over the water to lessen the vignetting.

    Ryo
    Thanks Ryo. Yes, flat is definately the nature of fog. In the original, you almost can't see the horizon and the ship is somewhat of a ghost.

    Your rendition is pleasing and perfectly acceptable with the sun lighting the back of the ship and the sense of sailing into the impending darkness, it is also a different image. Nothing wrong with that! I think I like it better than the original.

    Thank you for taking the time and effort to post your view!

  7. #7
    kdoc856's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    1,960
    Real Name
    Kevin

    Re: Into the Mists

    A worthy renditon, Ryo, but that degree of darkening brings out that pesky posterization on the left that I personally cant live with. I favor Frank's original (post-crop) with the surreal mistiness into which the ship disappears. I'd probably play ywith a B&W conversion as well.

  8. #8
    Ken Curtis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    800
    Real Name
    Ken Curtis

    Re: Into the Mists

    Frank, I was happy with the first image. Neat scene. There is only one main object to view, and it made me contemplate where the ship may be going and why. Using your imagination after viewing a photo is fun and makes the shot succeed.

  9. #9
    FrankMi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Fort Mill, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    6,294
    Real Name
    Frank Miller

    Re: Into the Mists

    Thank you Kevin and Ken! Although that was my original intention I can also appreciate that there may be more than one way personal preference to the visualization of some images.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •