Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Into the Mists

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Into the Mists

This scene reminds me of the Black Pearl fading into the mists in the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie.

Here the ship is leaving the early evening sunshine and into the fog and the night beyond.

Into the Mists

Real Name
    Mynor

Re: Into the Mists

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    This scene reminds me of the Black Pearl ...

Into the Mists
    True!

I love the comparison of the BP sailing away and this ship.

Great pic

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    This scene reminds me of the Black Pearl fading into the mists ...
    When I read this, my first thought was , 'Good grief. What's happened to Robin.'

Good one, Frank. My second, minor, thought was - whether it needed just quite so much space behind it (at the right hand side of the frame)?

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    When I read this, my first thought was , 'Good grief. What's happened to Robin.'

Good one, Frank. My second, minor, thought was - whether it needed just quite so much space behind it (at the right hand side of the frame)?
    Let's give it a try Donald. I thought it could use some subtle darkening as well.

Into the Mists

Frank, the image looked a little flat to me, and your crop seemed a bit much on the right side.

Into the Mists

I brought back in the light source, lightened up the highlights on the ship, darkened the ocean, and the mist, and to give it some depth I burned/dodged the water and wave crests. Finally added in a Black gradient over the water to lessen the vignetting.

Ryo

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Ryogenetic View Post
    Frank, the image looked a little flat to me, and your crop seemed a bit much on the right side.

Into the Mists

I brought back in the light source, lightened up the highlights on the ship, darkened the ocean, and the mist, and to give it some depth I burned/dodged the water and wave crests. Finally added in a Black gradient over the water to lessen the vignetting.

Ryo
    Thanks Ryo. Yes, flat is definately the nature of fog. In the original, you almost can't see the horizon and the ship is somewhat of a ghost.

Your rendition is pleasing and perfectly acceptable with the sun lighting the back of the ship and the sense of sailing into the impending darkness, it is also a different image. Nothing wrong with that! I think I like it better than the original.

Thank you for taking the time and effort to post your view!

Real Name
    Kevin

A worthy renditon, Ryo, but that degree of darkening brings out that pesky posterization on the left that I personally cant live with. I favor Frank's original (post-crop) with the surreal mistiness into which the ship disappears. I'd probably play ywith a B&W conversion as well.

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Frank, I was happy with the first image. Neat scene. There is only one main object to view, and it made me contemplate where the ship may be going and why. Using your imagination after viewing a photo is fun and makes the shot succeed.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Thank you Kevin and Ken! Although that was my original intention I can also appreciate that there may be more than one way personal preference to the visualization of some images.