Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: New MacBook Pro

Real Name
    Robin

New MacBook Pro

So who is going to order one?

Retina display with 5.1 million pixels - all-flash architecture - Quad-core Intel Core i7 processors - 1.8cm thick - 2.02kg - 7 hour battery life - custom designed Apple software.....and Adobe are going to rewrite Photoshop for the Retina screen.

I'm not a notebook user preferring the iMac at home and the iPad when I'm out and about but by God that's a serious photography tool.

Real Name
    Eugen

Re: New MacBook Pro

Definitely not me. I hate iTunes, their DRM and pushing QuickTime down your throat.
    If their hardware had been running Windows or Linux, that would have been great.

Real Name
    Ana

Neither do i. Always it will be another MAC, better and better, the revolution, the unseen, the ...

1. You can process photos on any decent MAC/PC.
    2. I know and i keep telling myself that it's the photographer that makes photos not the software/hardware.

So no. This way you will change your PC/MAC at every version/year. And costs!

Real Name
    Greg

I use an iMac and iPad as you do Robin.
    I have a iBook as a work computer and if it ever started playing up, boy I would be tempted.
    Looks fantastic
    Cheers Greg

Real Name
    Mary

I also love all things Mac and use Aperature 3. Can't wait to play with it in the Mac store sometime.But by the time I'm ready to get another Mac, Retina will be very old news. sigh....mary

Real Name
    Robin

Looking forward to seeing the screen in use with Aperture. Apple have demo of Final Cut which has been upgraded for the Retina resolution. There's a Full HD video playing at full resolution and it sits nicely within the software without needing a pop-out full screen mode.

Interesting that Apple have gone all flash storage. The current machines don't exactly hang about while doing stuff so a flash based one should absolutely fly.
    Oddly I was thinking of putting a flash drive in the iMac to give it a boost, that and a bit more RAM will have to be my upgrade this year as I've other stuff to spend cash on.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Nope - Can't justify the cost. I find that laptops are just not powerful enough to do heavy duty work and the screens are too darn small for serious video and photo work. Just a desktop guy at heart, connected to a huge screen; but have certainly used a laptop on the road when having a desktop along is not a practical solution.

In fact, I'm typing this on a laptop, but am using an extermal keyboard, mouse and screen.

Real Name
    Hans

Impressive specs. I hoped the iMac got upgraded but it seems we have to wait till next year!
    My iMac is getting very slow since about a year, also after fresh reinstall of OSX, and in fact planned to upgrade this year.
    It is almost five years old.

Real Name
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    Nope - Can't justify the cost. I find that laptops are just not powerful enough to do heavy duty work and the screens are too darn small for serious video and photo work
    Wow, Manfred!

My "ancient" (Ought '11) Macbook Pro running an "ancient" Snow Leopard OS, i7, quadcore laptop screams! I'd run it against anything short of a tricked out Mac Pro Tower and if that isn't tricked I'd put my money on the lapper!

I will put in with you on the screen (I have a 15"er), which is why mine has non-glare, but I keep it hooked to a 24" IPS while it sits on the desk!

I have run Final Cut Pro, Live Type (the old, good version and while rendering), Quick Time, Photoshop, Bridge, Garage Band/Soundtrack (while scoring), iTunes (doing format conversions and pounding out my fave R&R), Safari, Mail, Word, all at once and for sessions lasting for days. Never missed a lick! In fact, I have never, ever had to reboot an Apple computer since I have owned them from 2006.

Plus (and here's the best part), I can cook dinner on it!

New MacBook Pro

These are the most processor intensive programs I use. Especially for BBQ-ing! I can't even imagine what kind of demands you must require!

I think I'll pass on upgrading for a while! Mine has an onboard DVD!

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Canon View Post
    Wow, Manfred!

My "ancient" (Ought '11) Macbook Pro running an "ancient" Snow Leopard OS, i7, quadcore laptop screams! I'd run it against anything short of a tricked out Mac Pro Tower and if that isn't tricked I'd put my money on the lapper!

I will put in with you on the screen (I have a 15"er), which is why mine has non-glare, but I keep it hooked to a 24" IPS while it sits on the desk!

I have run Final Cut Pro, Live Type (the old, good version and while rendering), Quick Time, Photoshop, Bridge, Garage Band/Soundtrack (while scoring), iTunes (doing format conversions and pounding out my fave R&R), Safari, Mail, Word, all at once and for sessions lasting for days. Never missed a lick! In fact, I have never, ever had to reboot an Apple computer since I have owned them from 2006.

Plus (and here's the best part), I can cook dinner on it!

New MacBook Pro

These are the most processor intensive programs I use. Especially for BBQ-ing! I can't even imagine what kind of demands you must require!

I think I'll pass on upgrading for a while! Mine has an onboard DVD!
    That reminds me ...

... I take it that you've all seen this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGVTp7eCWBo

Real Name
    Robin

Slightly less horrifying than the Will it Blend videos