Thread: creek bed

Real Name
    robin

creek bed

this is my first post on this forum. i took this photo with my new sigma 10-20 1.4-5.6 lens and did a few adjustments in lightroom this was the first time i have taken photo with this lens tell me what you think. thankyoucreek bed

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: creek bed

Hi Robin,

Welcome to the CiC forums from me.

I'd really like to see this bigger, I think UWA shots lose all their impact if too small, twice the width and height will still fit most people's screens easily. e.g. 1280 x 850px.

You have a good exposure and tonal range there, but unfortunately it isn't level.

I know there is no horizon, but pick a point on a tree trunk and its reflection should be directly below and it isn't, it needs an anticlockwise rotation.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Hi Robin and welcome from another Brisbanite.

You've got a nice peaceful image there and the reflections in the water are what makes the image IMO. I agree with Dave H's comments but I also think the sky highlights are a bit blown. You could probably recover this in Lightroom. I'd also suggest increasing the fill light a bit and adding a bit more sharpening to bring out the water reflections a bit more.

Keep posting !

Dave

Real Name
    robin

thankyou the two daves, i thought using the wide angle lens would give the image a curved look. the photo was shot in raw so it is 4288 x 2848 so i will try the surgestions you have given my and post it. thankyou robin

Real Name
    Philip

I like this image Robin. Indeed a serene and peaceful scene.
    I love the stillness of the water and the dappled sunlight is very inviting! Shame about the blown out sky. Not an easy aspect to get right. Given the stillness of the day, maybe a second exposure for the sky would have been a good idea?
    I think Dave is right about making more of the reflections, and I don't get much of an impression of a wide angle lens. What was the focal length ?
    Cheers
    Phil

Real Name
    robin

thankyou philip i have played with the photo for the good i hope taken at 10mm iso 200 f4.0 1/640 seccreek bed

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    pick a point on a tree trunk and its reflection should be directly below
    Great tip, Dave! I had never thought of that.

Real Name
    Philip

Wow those reflections are stronger now !
    Just a quick thought on your camera settings, with a shutter speed of 1/640, I may have been tempted to slow it up a bit and go for a greater dof ? Although the image at this resolution looks fine.