Thread: St Marys Church

Real Name
    Jason

St Marys Church

Hi,

This is an old church ruin that is between Canberra and Goulburn. I have two different perspectives and two different processing styles. One of the images includes pictures of headstones although you can not read any names or details on them, I think this is ok but if it offends please let me know.

Cheers

J

St Marys Church

St Marys Church

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: St Marys Church

Jason

On the first one, your processing has brought out good detail in the sky. Sets a nice mood and atmosphere. I wondered, however, if the same processing had brought out the best in the stonework of the ruin? It just feels as if there is a lot more detail that, if brought out, might add to the image. But that, of course, is just a matter of interpretation. It is a very strong composition.

On the second one, I wondered why you chose the aspect ratio that you did?. It placed the church right in the middle of the frame and the headstones at the extreme right where they are a bit lost, I think. Again, I wondered how it would be with a crop to 3;2 from the existing bottom right corner?
    Last edited by Donald; 11th June 2012 at 07:20 AM.

Real Name
    Robert S.

Hi Jason,

on the first picture the ruin needs a bit more room to breathe. In my opinion the crop is too close. I would increase the dark point a little bit. The second one does not speak to me, but I can't really explain why. Maybe it is the crop or viewpoint.

cu
    Robert

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Jason,

I can probably answer Donald's question about the framing/crop of the second - I think you were influenced by the tree - the question is; was that the right thing to do? Given what the subject is supposed to be - probably* not.

I can see what Robert means on the tightness of the crop on the first, I think I might have allowed enough space to include the missing apex of the near wall.

I also agree with Donald, the walls in the first shot seem to have an overall softness to them that has lost all texture and contrast, again this looks like a concious, but possibly* misguided, choice in PP. Again I would suggest you consider what the subject is supposed to be and ask yourself; did I give it the best treatment compared to other areas of the image?

* I say "probably" and "possibly" because these are personal preferences and if you like it, that's fine, I'm not saying I'm right

Hope that helps,

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I like the head stones. They add a nice touch to the scene. If you return to it, consider moving closer to the churh so there is separation between the lowest tree limb and the top of the church.

Real Name
    Jason

Thank you all for your feedback. I am going to revisit the old church again and spend a bit more time thinking about composition. I had a idea in my head when I went there but the weather started to close in so I did not get the amount of time I would have liked. I have included the original photos, no processing. I think that the white paint that is still on the outside walls had an affect of the detail that was brought out, I also think that resizing may have softened it up a bit. I have a whole lot more ideas now, having looked over what I took first up and taking in the advice given, when my new 35mm lens turns up, which should be shortly, I think this will provide the ideal place for a "get to know you" session.
    Again thank you for your thoughts they are appreciated.

Cheers

J

St Marys Church

St Marys Church

Real Name
    Jason

Hi again,

I have revisited this site and tried some other ideas as well as giving the new 35mm a run. I have attached two versions the orig colour and a b&w conversion using SEP2. Oh and to let you know the headstone and cross were as I found them, I did not move anything. C&C most welcome.

Cheers

J

St Marys Church

St Marys Church

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Jason, The second set of images are a great improvement with one notable exception.

I think the power lines behind the church take away from the feeling of antiquity the church presents otherwise. In the new set of images, the barbed wire fence right across the entire church does even more to detract from the mood the church presents.

Do you have the ability to clone out these distractions?

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I actually like the fence, especially in the B&W version. It conveys to me that perhaps the building is on old farmland. Overall, I think this image is much stronger than either of the first two images.

I'd like to see the cross made more prominent by moving closer to it probably with a wider angle lens. A focal length in the range of 12-24mm could make the cross larger and the building smaller in a perhaps very haunting way.

Notice the slight halo on the top of the building in the color version. It's much worse in the B&W version. For me, the sky is too contrasty in the B&W version, distracting the eye from the subject. The sky is already interesting and requires no more impact, which is why I prefer the sky in the color version.

Real Name
    Jason

Hi Frank and Mike,

Sorry for the time taken to reply, thank you for the feedback.
    Do you have the ability to clone out these distractions?
    I thought about this and gave it a try but it is a bit beyond me, although I do like the fence in the picture as it is part of what you see when you are there.
    moving closer to it probably with a wider angle lens
    This is something I will try as I think the image could be presented in as you say a haunting way.
    Thanks again for your feedback

Cheers

J