Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Water Lilly

Real Name
    Mike

Water Lilly

When a more standard type of processing did not produce any desirable
    results, I just sat back and stared at this image for while, knowing there was something quite good present in the pic, but in an abstract sort of way. Saw this in my mind, and made it happen in Lightroom.

Water Lilly
    1/60s f/8.0 at 300.0mm iso500

Best viewed at full size in the lightbox. Have to say that I'm very pleased
    with it overall, as my desired result was achieved. Still, I'm also very interested
    in others thoughts on the composition and processing, and general C&C, of course.

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts (positive or otherwise..lol)..

Mike
    Last edited by Dizzy; 11th June 2012 at 04:38 AM.

Real Name
    Bobo

Re: Water Lilly

Well done, I like the gold and reflections.

Real Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Well done, I like the gold and reflections.
    Thanks Bobo..

The more I look at it, the more I enjoy the textures and color blends in the upper
    2/3 of the image.

Real Name
    Mike

Had honestly hoped for a bit more feedback on this image. Any other thoughts on it?

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
    Had honestly hoped for a bit more feedback on this image. Any other thoughts on it?
    Well, it's a bit late, but I'll bite

Personally, I don't go for the 'soft and saturated' processing I'm afraid Mike.

Compositionally, I see two curved elements of the lily leaves from opposite sides and the bud bloom itself.

However, the reflection makes a fourth major element and even numbers often don't seem to work as well as odd.

Another thing that breaks the composition is the very dark triangle formed by the edges of the rearmost lily leaf being pushed up.

This is more like the picture I see here, but I feel the bloom is a tad too big in frame to work really.

Water Lilly

I had to extend the canvas on right to stop the left hand lily hitting the right hand edge.

I hope you don't mind me re-interpreting your image here Mike, but if you do, just let me know and I'll remove it.

HTH,

Real Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Well, it's a bit late, but I'll bite

Personally, I don't go for the 'soft and saturated' processing I'm afraid Mike.

Compositionally, I see two curved elements of the lily leaves from opposite sides and the bud bloom itself.

However, the reflection makes a fourth major element and even numbers often don't seem to work as well as odd.

Another thing that breaks the composition is the very dark triangle formed by the edges of the rearmost lily leaf being pushed up.

This is more like the picture I see here, but I feel the bloom is a tad too big in frame to work really.

Water Lilly

I had to extend the canvas on right to stop the left hand lily hitting the right hand edge.

I hope you don't mind me re-interpreting your image here Mike, but if you do, just let me know and I'll remove it. HTH,
    Don't mind in the least bit Dave, and in fact that is exactly the type of feedback I
    desired, as it shows me how others might view the same image. I understand your suggestions, and had considered cloning out the "black triangle" next
    to the flower and ultimately decided to keep it. Mucho appreciated Dave!

TBH I'm still a big fan of the original for some odd reason, and plan to see how an 8x10 print of this looks once matted and framed. I've got a few extra mats/frames about, so the cost is about nil. (no ones ever said I was "normal"..LOL)

Mike