Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DSLR Camera Backpack

DSLR Camera Backpack

Hi, Can anyone recomend a good backpack for a DSLR with space for 3-4 lenses and all the assorted charges etc. Also a laptop section would be very handy, but most importantly I need it to be airline carry on size as I am quite restricted with my luggage whilst traveling!
    Thanks
    Matt

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: DSLR Camera Backpack

Hello and welcome to CiC. I hope this will be the start of a long involvement with the forum.

I'm not sure, but think you're maybe setting an unobtainable goal - A body, 3-4 lenses, a laptop + accessories all in one bag that will be small enough to be a carry-on. Pretty big ask, I would say. But I'd love if someone could tell me different, because I'd buy that bag.

Well I have been looking at the Tamrac Expedition 5588 or 5587 and if the website is to be believed then they are carry-on size (well maybe not ryanair) and just wondered if anyone had any experience with either these or could recomend any others

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Hello Mayttmull,

I asked a similar question just recently in this thread. I've always used Lowepro as they're virtually non-destructive and weather proof even without the rain covers.

I really like this backpack, but I've not had chance to stick it in a luggage compartment yet.

Real Name
    Joe

I have the Lowepro 350. I think it will do what your asked in your post. I bought mine through amazon.com.

Real Name
    Mike

Think Tank Streetwalker Hard drive. I got that one for travel (especially air) when I want to bring what I need for a photographic trip. Sized for international carry on. Fits a 15" laptop. Straps on outside for a tripod.

Real Name
    Paul

I'm using a LowePro Pro Runner 450 at the moment with an old LowePro ... something else significantly smaller when required. Both are really good bags. The 450 was half price on Amazon.co.uk at Christmas and as I was seriously running out of space with my smaller bag I dropped serious hints that the 450 would be an ideal present. The 450 takes pretty much all of my gear including 2 tripods, 3 flashes, a few lenses and some other stuff including batteries, exposure meters, wireless remotes etc. Lifting it is the main problem but in the field it's ideal, being pretty much square and stable it works as a handy base to change lenses and according to LowePro it is carry on size. The only problems are the temptation to fill it, at which point it gets seriously heavy and the fact that there is STILL some empty space remaining - which means I have to buy even more kit !!!.
    Both are really comfortable to carry with adjustable straps and padding in all the right places. Oh yeah - takes a laptop as well in fact if I got rid of all my camera gear I could probably live in it.

I have the perfect one! It has everything you want and it also has a hard bottom to it so when you are out hiking you can set it down and not worry about the bottom soaking up water.
    Its a Case Logic camera bag. It can be a little heavy because I tend to overload it!
    I have hiked up to 20 miles with this and it was never uncomfortable. Lots of padding and compartments that can be moved around to fit your needs. And the camera sits on top of all this inside, so getting to it is very quick.
    A compartment just for your laptop to! I have the SLRC-206 Case Logic and I got it through Amazon for about 90. And yes its perfect for travel.
    http://www.amazon.com/Case-Logic-SLR...9376343&sr=1-1

Real Name
    Kim

Hi. I've got the Lowpro 400 flipside backpack, and use it constantly. It's comfortable to use and I've had two camera bodies and five lenses in it with a netbook computer (unfortunately not it its own compartment, but the way I've got the space configures it works well), all the cords, etc and still a bit of space for wallets, sunblock and other stuff! It has a tripod attachment, and a rain coat and lots of padding. One of the things that I really like about this is the main opening which is against my back so that I know that it can't be opened by someone from behind me. I've travelled by air quite a bit with it (on big and small planes in South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Malaysia, Singapore, Australia and NZ) and never had any problems with it being taken as hand luggage. Good luck with your choice! Kim

Real Name
    Richard

I have a Tamrac 5789 Evolution series and a Lowepro (Fastpack 350) of similar size and conformation. Both are good bags, & in both I can pack a Canon 60D with 70-200 f/4 IS lens attached, and a couple smaller lenses in the bottom compartment, and have the upper compartment for miscellaneous stuff (usually, I have another lens or two, or a 2nd camera body, plus notebook, flashlight, remote release, lens cleaning stuff, extra batteries, filters). Plus lots of small stuff can go in the various small pockets here and there. Both have a laptop sleeve. The Tamrac comes with a rain shroud & a tripod mount, but it doesn't work well with a good sized tripod, probably OK for a small one. Both have a nice flat bottom. The upper compartment on Lowepro is slightly larger. Loaded, they are comfortable to carry, but heavy. So, I don't know much about the Expedition series you mention, but I like Tamrac, and will probably buy more. Hope this helps.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

If you can find a Kata HB-205 GDC anywhere (it's been discontinued), it holds a full-size DSLR and 3 large (pro) lenses and I can get one or two smaller lenses into it as well. Mine's been on many, many flights around the world as cabin baggage.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by mayttmull View Post
    Hi, Can anyone recomend a good backpack for a DSLR with space for 3-4 lenses and all the assorted charges etc. Also a laptop section would be very handy, but most importantly I need it to be airline carry on size as I am quite restricted with my luggage whilst traveling.

I have a Lowepro Computrekker AW - 13.4” x 9.1” x 17.7" (34cm x 23cm x 45 cm) (WxDxH).

It is a backpack design and has a computer (laptop) section and will fit easily, all the items you mention.

I give a lot of details regarding Airline Carry-on in the post previoulsy linked.

Note that most Airlines have a WEIGHT Limit for Carry-on, in addition to the size limit.

WW
    Last edited by William W; 11th June 2012 at 01:48 PM.

Real Name
    Richard

Without the laptop compartment, I would have recommended a Lowepro Mini Trekker AW. I carried two cameras: Canon 40D and 30D, with 70-200mm f/4L IS, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS and Tokina 12-24mm f/4 lenses along with 550EX and 270EX flashes and various batteries, chargers and CF cards. It all weighed right arount 5 kilos (which was the limit for internal China flights) and fit just fine in the overhead compartment.

Luckily, my wife always carries her notebook computer so I used hers for downloading.

BTW: I also brought two tiny physical size but large capacity extenral hard drives to which I copied the images after downloading...

NOTE: if possible handle the backpack. I picked the Lowepro because it was considerablylighter in weight than other backpacks. I have used it for quite a few years and it is very sturdy...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 11th June 2012 at 07:49 PM.

Real Name
    Jim

Have a look on the Kata website http://www.katabags.co.uk/Kata+Bag+C...o/16686748They have a few and they are fantasti quality

Thanks for all your input guys, time to go shopping

+1 for the Lowepro ProRunner 350 AW. It was apparently designed to be the largest that is pretty much guaranteed to be within all carry-on limits, takes a full HD screen laptop, camera and a couple of lenses (and room for the computer power supply). Mind you, with all that it's quite heavy.

It's also weather-proof.

Real Name
    Ian

I just checked this thread for recommendations for a trip to Turkey this autumn, having just come up against the latest hand baggage restrictions on a number of UK and European airlines. I checked Thomsons, Thomas Cook & Corendon: they're now restricting passengers' hand baggage to no more than 5kg and 55 x 40 x 20cm. I haven't flown for a while, so this was news to me. Easy Jet still allow 56 x 45 x 25 with no weight restriction.

The Lowepro Prorunner 350AW is quoted as having external dimensions 45.5 x 33 x 26.5
    The Tamrac5789 Evolution 9 is 50 x 33 x 28

I wonder how strictly these dimensions are applied? I know they have boxes that are these dimensions which they use to check, so presumably if you can 'squash' the bag into that space, you're okay?
    We've actually been checking this stuff out to see if my wife can carry her accordion on , but I'm also thinking about an alternative to a Lowepro Slingpro as a backpack is probably going to be better (and more secure) for travel, including an EeePad or iPad.

Lowepro CompuDayPhoto 250 looks like an alternative which would definitely meet the size restrictions (43.5 x 32 x 20) but doesn't look as useful or secure as the Prorunner 350..?
    Lowepro don't list the Computrekker, though it may well still be available...

Ian

My Lowepro Prorunner 350AW is definitely within external dimensions 45.5 x 33 x 26.5 (I've just checked it, packed). Don't know how tightly rules are applied.

Real Name
    Paul

My Lowepro Prorunner 450AW is supposedly (according to Lowepro) baggage friendly. Trouble is that when it's fully packed it is pretty heavy and when I fly my starting point is Charles de Gaulle airport, so I have to negociate Paris and the metro with a suitcase and this sack. I find it easier to put the 450 into a large indestructible (hopefully) hard shell wheeled suitcase with tripods and essentials (clothes etc) and carry a camera and a few lenses in a much smaller Lowepro bag that is well within carry on limits. The suitcase goes in the hold, I carry on my camera and a few lenses and so far this has worked for me. Much easier trundling a suitcase on wheels around Paris plus it's big and strong enough to serve as a handy seat when required and when I get to my destination I repack the 450 and lug that around for shooting. Only problem with the 450 is you tend to try to fill it which makes it really heavy. At the time I bought it the 450 was less expensive than the 350 which may have been the more sensible (slipped disk avoiding) option. Really excellent bags though.

Real Name
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Garrett View Post
    My Lowepro Prorunner 350AW is definitely within external dimensions 45.5 x 33 x 26.5 (I've just checked it, packed). Don't know how tightly rules are applied.
    Hi Simon,
    Does it fit within Easy Jet's 25cm depth restriction?
    Ian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast