Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

View Poll Results: What do you use the most?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Greenbox/Program/Auto

1 5.88%
  • Aperture priority

10 58.82%
  • Shutter Speed priority

1 5.88%
  • Manual

5 29.41%

Thread: I shoot mostly in...

I shoot mostly in...

Just curious
    What setting do you use the most?

Re: I shoot mostly in...

Aperture Priority, control of DoF is really important. I should also mark "Manual", but with a manual lens and the K100D, shooting in Manual is almost like Aperture Priority (one extra button pressing only for metering once the aperture is set on the ring).
    Last edited by sebasj; 13th June 2008 at 08:38 PM.

Manual mainly, some shutter priority if I'm hand-holding long glass, some apeture for portrait and so on, and if I'm just walking around, I leave the camera on 'P' so that if I need to point and shoot, I can.

When I used Nikon cameras I used Manual all the time, because (thanks to Nikon's Auto ISO implementation) I could set the EC, shutter speed and aperture I wanted and the camera would move the ISO value around to support my selections.

With Canon I can't do this, and so Aperture priority is the best compromise I've found for my kind of photography - but I'd be back on Manual in a heartbeat if Canon kit allowed me the same options that Nikon did...

Real Name
    Ian

I suppose the answer in my case is that it depends on the subject and the situation:

As I take a lot of action shots with movement quite often over 100mph then I would normally have it set for shutter speed priority to ensure that I can sufficiently stop the action, although sometimes a little blur in wheels etc can be desirable.

Equally these subjects can sometimes be inappropriate to use on full manual, as there are usually other considerations and the shot is gone in a second so grabbing a useable / sellable shot here is critical.

If its night photography, (I enjoy the challenge) it is always on manual, and despite the sometimes cold conditions, there seems to be the luxury of more time to create the desired result.

Here I am grateful to my learning camera technique back in the days when program mode was a pipe dream and only manual was available.

With other subjects I tend use aperture priority. So a full range of techniques!

I believe its horses for courses and fully understand those who want to use fully manual.

Obviously in certain situations program mode has its place, but I personally want to get a little more control, unless it is a 'grab' shot, as has been said.

Real Name
    António Correia

I shoot most of the time in Aperture Priority.
    However, it does happen that I forget to look at the speed and I get blurred photos. A shame

Then, when I realize so, I move to Manual mode.

If I am shooting with the flash and at day time I do use Aperture Priority.
    At night I set to Manual depending on the circunstances and ambient.

interesting... I shoot mostly in aperture priority with spot metering and M when lighting is difficult, but when I use flash I always use M.

I guess the next question is what metering mode do you guys use?

Isn't it funny how camera companies spend all that time and money creating amazing metering systems only to have us fall back to M mode?

Shreds, can you share some of the high speed photos? I would love to see them.

Well... as for the metering, always spot or center weighted. After years of metering that way, it's hard to change. It makes my life easier :-)

Best,
    Sebas.

Manual and RAW. But then I do almost entirely landscapes, so speed is not a factor.

I use TAv-allows me to select both appeture and speed manuallu and the camera automatically sets theISO

Interesting... which camera are you using?
    I'm not familiar with TAv. I'm a Nikon user and the auto ISO feature has a different set up than what you described.

Quote Originally Posted by Raycer View Post
    Interesting... which camera are you using?
    I'm not familiar with TAv. I'm a Nikon user and the auto ISO feature has a different set up than what you described.
    Its the Samsung GX10.