Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Out & about.

Real Name
    Louise

Out & about.

First there was "In my backyard". Now, with the nicer weather, its "Out & about".
    Here is a picture that I try to compose on site, following the great examples we have here, and I would like to present it as is

Out & about.

The spring quality of the new green leaves and the filtered sun were my inspiration. C&C welcome.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Out & about.

Hi Louise,

Composition works for me and good tonal range.

My only queries are whether you feel it might be just a tad too green, both in saturation and white balance terms?

It makes me feel I'd like to walk the path though, so it achieves what you've set out to do.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Louise

Here is the same path, just moments before. We see more of the light in the path itself. I found it gives an over expose look to it. It is very green and the freinds that were there said that the greener version was more true to that fantastic and momentary light. And moments later, it was much darker when clouds passed over the sun and the wind picked up. Out & about.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Although the actual scene may have been, as you have said, very green, I wonder if this translates well into a picture? It may be one of those situations where you and your friends, who were there, experienced the whole environment, whereas we only have what we see in this rectangle. Not everything that is spectacular as we look at it, will necessarily make an equally spectacular picture.

Because it so intensely and full of green, it maybe means that we lose some detail and do not have a point upon which to focus our attention.

I do think the first one is a very good composition. I do agree with Dave that an adjustment would, most likely, make it an even better image.

Real Name
    Louise

Thanks for you comments Dave and Donald. I worked on the WB and contrasts, bit of crop, etcOut & about.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

What is your view, Louise? Do you think that this improves the image?

The important thing is that this is your image and you have to like it. Dave and I offered our views, but it doesn't mean that you have to agree with them.

Real Name
    Louise

I do agree that the sharpening has improved the contrast in the image, and, it looks crisper. By the way, I was so excited to go to this beatifull park that I did not check my camera settings. All the pictures I took that day are in jpeg format. I was always told that a jpeg cannot be worked on because it lacks information to start with. I was quite upset when I realise it was all in jpeg. Is it what we call "the learning curve"?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by wlou View Post
    Is it what we call "the learning curve"?
    It is indeed. If you do move between RAW and JPEG, then somehow you have to build into your preparations that you check you settings.

I think your latest version of the image is, by a long way, a significant improvement. I think it is now a very attractive image to look at. It draws the eye into the picture and invites us to look around at all the detail.

Real Name
    Louise

Thank you Donald. Photography is so much more than a capture of a scene. I mean the technical aspect of it. I usually shoot RAW. I swiched to jpeg because on my Sony dslra500 camera, certain options work only in jpeg. Well, thats for that.
    And, there is the cobra flash. Oh boy, a hole new can of worms. I decided to take the flash book, and read it from front to back while trying out the settings along. Who knows where I will end up?

Real Name
    Louise

Can colour hide shapes? First, a strange flower with unreal colour. It was the colour, realy. I guy ask me if I took a shot of the blue flower with the gold specks in the middle.
    Out & about.

And the same pic in B&W. Check the tendrils in the middle. Strange, no?
    Out & about.