Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Nikon 28mm f/2.8 AI-s (manual focus) Nikkor

Nikon 28mm f/2.8 AI-s (manual focus) Nikkor

Is this lens any good? According to kenrockwell and Bjørn Rørslett, this is one of the best lens.

I'm getting this lens for the following reasons:

1. Physically light
    2. Inexpensive

In terms of optical performance, I've read that it has

1. No distortion, Chromatic aberration, falloff, ghosting, flare and other optical defects
    2. Extremely sharp edge to edge
    3. Better than
      • Any 20mm and 24mm
      • 28mm f/2.8 AF-D
      • 28mm f/2.0 AI

Am I right in saying all the above, and are there any wide angle lens that I should consider as well?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Nikon 28mm f/2.8 AI-s (manual focus) Nikkor

Bump

I've heard very good things about this lens as well, but have no personal experience with it. I do own a 24mm f/2.8 AI-S and can say it's just okay on an APS-C camera. If you really want to get some experts to chime in on the 28mm, head over to Flickr: No metering lenses on Nikon DSLRs and see what the folks have to say there.

If you are a landscape or nature photographer, I highly recommend it! It's beautiful for low distortion panoramic work and macros.

Ken was not exaggerating when he said it is sharp and can take low glare photos with light sources directly in them, e.g., the sun. I like to use mine for portraits too.

If you don't like it (I seriously doubt you will), it will be easy to sell it at a good price - so you really can't go wrong with this lens.