Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Back to basics

Back to basics

I've used Photoshop CS3 in the past, but for the last two years I haven't had a copy. (My hard drive crashed and I lost the installation CD when we moved). I'm likely going to be getting Photoshop CS4 this week and I'm thinking that I could probably use a quick review on some basics. Just a few questions here...

1) Should I be sharpening / saturating a photo while it's in RAW form? Or should I just adjust the WB if needed and then convert to JPEG, saving all sharpening / saturating / levels etc for photoshop?

2) In what order, if any, should I be correcting things? Levels first, sharpening second, etc?

3) Anything else I should refirmiliarize myself with? I was briefly looking over my cousin's shoulder as she was working on it (She's a wedding photographer) and I could hardly remember half of the short-cuts I used to know, or most of the tricks I used to know.

4) Also, does Photoshop CS4 extended have the same features that Photoshop CS4 does? My understanding is that CS4 extended merely has more features etc (thus, extended) than the regular counterpart. Am I correct in thinking this? I'm able to get Photoshop CS4 extended from the university at a lower rate, but they don't carry the regular CS4.
    Last edited by Sean; 23rd July 2009 at 04:25 AM.

Re: Back to basics

CS4 extended (besides costing a lot more) has an additional 2D and 3D graphic design and image animation. It's more for the graphic designer and for those who are advanced in Ps skills. I owned the CS3 extended version before up grading to the regular CS4 version when it came out. I really didn't need all the bells and whistles in the way I edit process my images.

Warning: Adobe can be really tricky in regards to their sales. If you buy a "creative suite" and only wish to upgrade one application, it won't work. You will need to upgrade the "entire" suite not just one. If you purchase and extended version of Ps, you can't later upgrade to the non-extended version. Friends of mine in graphic design and I have been misinformed by many sales people from Adobe and Mac stores.

For more info:http://www.macworld.com/article/1362.../10/pscs4.html

Everyone's editing and workflow is different for everyone, my suggestion if purchasing Scott Kelby's Adobe Ps CS4 workbook. You can use Adobe's Bridge (comes with Ps) or Lightroom 2.0 for workflow (Kelby has a great workbook for this too).

The Basics:

1. Exposure.
    2. White Balance.
    3. Contrast/Saturation/Vibrancy
    4. Levels/Curves/Highlights/Shadows
    5. Sharpening/Noise Reduction
    6. Noise Reduction
    7. Additional editing cleanup in Ps.

I do not know all the fancy technical terms, but Colin in another thread does gives more technical details. It took me awhile being classically trained in darkroom in BW and color from film to figure out what controls what. Mostly from playing with the controls to see the effects.
    Last edited by Amberglass; 29th July 2009 at 04:59 PM. Reason: adding

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Back to basics

Hi Sean,

Sorry - I missed your original post. Only got a few minutes, but ...

as a rule, pretty much anything you CAN do in the RAW converter you SHOULD do in the RAW converter (it's less lossy) - the only exception - debateably - is sharpening.

I've posted a bit about workflows elsewhere here - I'll dig them up for you if you need.