Thread: The C$400 shots

Real Name
    Bobo

The C$400 shots

Went out today for more macro and off-camera flash practise. Put the flash on the wide wooden railing of a bridge over a stream and took these 2 shots. Then there was a splash and a flash of light and the 430EXII was seen submerged in the muddy stream below.

Climbed down a steepish slope to the edge of the stream and could not reach the thing without actually going into the mud. Did that, grabbed the dead flash and luckily had a tree to help climb back on the slope. And then this red ant took a couple of bites at me.

Not a good day AT ALL.

Repair will cost ~150 but really depends on what they find that needs fixing so could be more but not less.

Thought of getting a new one instead but... we up here are being ripped off on a pretty big scale.
    With Cdn$ and US$ at almost par the price difference here is pretty staggering. Down south a new 430EXII with a Stroboframe thrown in can be had for about US$300. Here it is close to Cdn400 not including taxes.

Nope those greedy bas...ds are not getting my $, will just use a cheap YN that I have and wait until my next overseas trip and either get the 430 repaired or get a new one.

The cause of this grief.

The C0 shots

The C0 shots

Real Name
    Greg

Re: The C$400 shots

Real sorry to hear all this Bobo.
    Two things:
    1. I like the first photo, good focus on the bugs eyes.
    2. Did you stomp the ant. Sounds like you needed some stress relief
    Hope all goes well. Greg

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Greg, was'nt his fault but he did take advantage of my distraction so not stomped. Just flicked him off my hand. I am sure the flick hurt hehe.

Real Name
    Andrew

Bobo, order your flash on-line from The Camera Store in Calgary. You'll get it in a few days with a Canadian warranty, keep your money in the country, and get it closer to the price you want.

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Andrew, will check out that place.

I would not mind 400 if everywhere else is about the same but no way am I going to let highway robbers get at my hard-earned $$$. Canadians really should stand up to this sort of behaviour but for some reason don't hence emboldening these retailers more and more.

Real Name
    Bobo

Some good news though - I emailed my contacts in HK (I am there 2-3 times a year) and he says that there is an excellent 3rd party Canon repair person who can fix almost anything. He even asked Canon HK who unlike Canon CA will not quote without seeing the item. Canon CA quoted $99 (excluding tax, shipping, etc) with a rider that there maybe additional costs. Not very professional imho ie grab the 99 irrespective of whether it can be fixed or not.

Real Name
    Sharon

Nothing to offer but hugs!

Sorry to hear you have had a dreadful day Bobo.

Real Name
    Bobo

Checked The Camera Store @338 much more palatable. Will ask my banker (wife ) for funds release.

Thanks for the good tip Andrew.

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Daisy. After a good night's sleep (yes, slept pretty well all considering) I am good as new and yesterday is forgotten.

As people sometimes say - if the only problem to a fix is $$$, then it is not a problem!

Just did a quick check on UK prices and the Speedlite 580, which is the one I use, sells for UK £ 330 from Gibraltar (offshore reduced sales tax) and anything between £360 and £520 from a UK based company.

Not sure how that compares in price at current exchange rates.

The beetle, which you finally managed to photograph looks like one of the Elateridae family, and possibly a Cantharis species.

Incidentally, my flash unit is held together with silicon filler as a result of many falls where the wind has upset a tripod placed on grass tussocks.

Real Name
    Andrew

Geoff, for Canadians you can also check out the site below. The problem with it is it may not be all that accurate and you need to call to confirm which adds more cost. I've dealt with The Camera Store for 15 years and they have always been very helpful. One of the best stocked stores in the country. Give the link a try. You'll find better prices but whether or not they actually have what you want is not consistent. In any case, keep the link and use the information for negotiating a price with your local shops. Sometimes you can get a price match.

http://www.photoprice.ca/

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Andrew for going out of your way to help. I really appreciate that. Thank you.

Will study that tonight when I get back from my regular Tuesday night game.

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Andrew for going out of your way to help. I really appreciate that. Thank you.

Will study that tonight when I get back from my regular Tuesday night game.

Real Name
    Paul

Ouch Bobo! Sorry to hear. On the more positive side....love the first one. The comp works for me and the DOF works as well. Nice colors.

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Paul. I quite like that one myself. Though I did not notice that taking the shot, the leaf it is standing on has taken an exact same "pose", there is a darkish part that looks like an eye and the dried up bottom part sort of looks like the underside of a head.

Actually did not even notice that during pp but only after posting it here. haha.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

OWW! That hurts! Sorry to hear, Bobo.

One thing I think about in these kinds of situations is the opportunity to make a change. It is often very difficult to justify a newer or more appropriate model as long as what I have is functional but, sometimes there is a chance to get something better and e-Bay the old one once it has been repaired.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Writing that ...........

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    The C0 shots
    ... is a wonderful image, doesn't really compensate, but it is.

Sometimes a, "As people sometimes say - if the only problem to a fix is $$$, then it is not a problem!", attitude is the only way we can deal with something like this.

I once heard of a person who was having a fire in her garden ......... and then wondered where the £200 (GBP), in notes, that she'd set aside was. Yep ....... it had gone. But otherwise, she is a very, very intelligent person and a great photographer!

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Frank - oddly I was thinking the same. So have been checking specs on the new 6xx and wondering... The cheapie YN manual flash that was bought as a backup is now in service though I am somewhat ignorant on how to dial in manual exposures.

Thanks Donald about the pic and yes, we sometimes do get a mental block and just do things we should not be. Of course unlike that lady this guy is neither intelligent or a great photographer!