Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Mountain Portal

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Mountain Portal

This tunnel is one of three roads into Cades Cove, an isolated colonial farming valley, high in the Great Smoky Mountains of Eastern Tennessee. The last inhabitant of Cades Cove passed away in 1999.

In this image, I'm hoping to capture the sense of isolation experienced in this rural mountainous area.

Mountain Portal
    Last edited by FrankMi; 5th June 2012 at 12:16 AM.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Re: Mountain Portal

I like it Frank. I like the tunnel itself and the way it leads to the forest area in the distance. Great composition IMO. Technical side of it is all good too.

Dave

Real Name
    Mike

Frank, I think it's a cool looking tunnel, but the pavement doesn't look
    quite "pavementish" enough..almost blurry...was this done on purpose?

Have you considered a crop removing some of that roadway (and modern,
    fresh paint), as that might enhance the remoteness of the overall composition.

Must have been a superb place to visit, and having driven through much of that
    country in my past seeing it again makes me want to take the wife and drive
    back there again, but this time in a conveyance having only 4 wheels, and not 18!

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    I like it Frank. I like the tunnel itself and the way it leads to the forest area in the distance. Great composition IMO. Technical side of it is all good too.

Dave
    Thanks Dave!

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
    Frank, I think it's a cool looking tunnel, but the pavement doesn't look
    quite "pavementish" enough..almost blurry...was this done on purpose?

Have you considered a crop removing some of that roadway (and modern,
    fresh paint), as that might enhance the remoteness of the overall composition.
    I should have considered that, particularly given that the road surface would detract from the feeling of isolation.

Cades Cove is the single most popular destination for visitors to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, attracting over two million visitors a year, due to its well preserved homesteads, scenic mountain views, and abundant display of wildlife (hence the road maintenance).

Mountain Portal
    Last edited by FrankMi; 4th June 2012 at 11:54 PM.

Real Name
    Richard

I am proud to say that some of my ancestors were among the first settlers of the Cades Cove region. I have references locating them there in the early 1800's. Their surnames were Erwin and Stanton!

BTW, Frank... Some of my CROW ancestors were located in Spartanburg, SC, in the late 1700's and early 1800's. I believe Spartanburg is fairly close to Fort Mill.

I have researched the muster rolls from the Battle of Kings Mountain and believe that one of my ancestors fought there - on the Patriot side.

I am sure that no one is interested in this trivia but, the Battle of King's Mountain was the only battle in the American Revolution in which neither English nor Hessian troops were engaged. It was totally a fight between Americans: those loyal to the Crown - Loyalists and those fighting for independence - Patriots. The Loyalists were, however lead by a Scotsman, Major Patrick Furguson of the 71st Foot! It ended in a decisive defeat for the Loyalists and quashed British expectations for a Loyalist uprising to support the cause of the Crown.

The intense battles of the Revolution in our Southern states are little known, even by Americans.
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 4th June 2012 at 11:57 PM.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I am proud to say that some of my ancestors were among the first settlers of the Cades Cove region. I have references locating them there in the early 1800's. Their surnames were Erwin and Stanton!

BTW, Frank... Some of my CROW ancestors were located in Spartanburg, SC, in the late 1700's and early 1800's. I believe Spartanburg is fairly close to Fort Mill.

I have researched the muster rolls from the Battle of Kings Mountain and believe that one of my ancestors fought there - on the Patriot side.

I am sure that no one is interested in this trivia but, the Battle of King's Mountain was the only battle in the American Revolution in which neither English nor Hessian troops were engaged. It was totally a fight between Americans: those loyal to the Crown - Loyalists and those fighting for independence - Patriots. The Loyalists were, however lead by a Scotsman, Major Patrick Furguson of the 71st Foot!

The intense battles of the Revolution in our Southern states are little known, even by Americans.
    Right you are sir, on all counts! I got to the valley too late in the day to be able to get pictures but I did get a tour guide and plan to return to photograph the 1800's buildings and hopefully some of the wildlife. It's about 3 hours drive from home so it'll be a long day.

Real Name
    Kerry Frank

Frank, I tell you what...first I see you standing on a railroad track with green lights, now here you are risking life and limb in the middle of a highway to capture yet another great image. Gutsy, very gutsy!

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Kdfrank View Post
    Frank, I tell you what...first I see you standing on a railroad track with green lights, now here you are risking life and limb in the middle of a highway to capture yet another great image. Gutsy, very gutsy!
    Not too sure about the 'gutsy' part? Ah! Maybe that's the problem! When the good Lord was handing out brains, I was standing on a railroad track thinking he said trains! LOL!

Thank you for viewing and commenting, John!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Ah! Maybe that's the problem! When the good Lord was handing out brains, I was standing on a railroad track thinking he said trains!
    Aahh, I've always wondered who that guy was standing beside me!

Don't know how I missed this one.

The re-worked version is excellent and does indeed evoke the sense of passing from one place into another.

Thank you, too, for the accompanying text. I never knew about Cades Cove.