Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: New Sony RX100 1-inch Sensor Compact Camera

New Sony RX100 1-inch Sensor Compact Camera

A new Sony compact camera specs are leaked. It is worth mentioning because it is not a typical compact as it does have a sensor (20MP) that is same size as the Nikon CX format sensor(J1 and V1) And it has a lens that starts from f1.9. It looks quiet compact once the lens is retracted. I might definitely be interested in one if the image quality is similar to Nikon J1 and V1!
    Source:
    http://www.dslrpassion.com/rumors/44...ct-camera.html

Real Name
    Robin

Re: New Sony RX100 1-inch Sensor Compact Camera

Too many pixels. The J1/V1 works because it has a sensible pixel count. This is typical of Sony - give the uneducated section of the public more and they will buy it

Fail!

Real Name
    Louise

Hello Robin, I must be in the uneducated section, too many pixels? All I hear is: "get more bixels"!

New Sony RX100 1-inch Sensor Compact Camera

Mine arrived late yesterday. :)

First impressions are very favourable...or to quote Michael Reichmann at Luminous Landscape...."wow"!

Some time will be required to get used to this little box as there is a lot to choose from in the options and settings department...plus I have to get used to the idea of in-camera settings for Jpegs as I usually shoot Raw.

And I have to learn to speak Sony rather than my native Canon.:rolleyes:

Raw post processing isn't really available yet apart from Sony's clunky software although Raw Therapee and Picture Window Pro will read files colour adjustment settings and lense corrections are required. Hopefully DxO will come to the party soon.

I won't take the megapixel (de)bait Robin :p ;)....there's enough of that happening over on the DPR forums .:eek:
    Last edited by Mahn England; 17th July 2012 at 11:13 PM.

Real Name
    Brad

Yep, by all accounts this camera is now the leader in the "pocketable alternative for professionals and serious photographers" segment, toppling the Canon S-100 and everything else. I have yet to read a negative review; image quality is reportedly excellent. Lightroom and Aperture will likely update shortly so they can work with RAW files from this camera, it shouldn't take too long.

Real Name
    Arlen

I've been waiting a long time for a compact camera with specs like this to come along, which unlike my DSLRs, can be easily carried around everywhere. Previous compacts were somewhat OK, but this one promises to be in a league by itself (at least for a while). Mine is supposed to arrive on Friday. The benefits are unlikely to be very evident in web-sized images though, so I'm not sure it will be of much use to CiC members if we post shots from it here.

I agree that any web display can't do this camera's IQ justice.

I've just spent the morning playing around and I'm staggered at the quality of the jpegs. I've got mine set on "P" (program auto) with "creative settings" at standard with contrast: 0, saturation: 0, and sharpness +1. In good light and 125 ISO the pixel peeping shows an excellent image. Larger than A3+ print worthy images are possible.

I'm sure that it's IQ will be tested at higher ISOs given the size of the sensor...but hey you get a great camera in a little package.